Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Aqua ink stains (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aqua-ink-stains-t219521.html)

peacefulquilting 04-19-2013 08:34 AM

Aqua ink stains

Hello all,

I have a customer quilt that has aqua ink stains from the aqua blue marker that supposedly comes out with water. Well, guess what? It's not coming out - it's just spreading and leaving aqua rings on her white fabric. (And it's a GORGEOUS quilt!) She hasn't washed the quilt yet; she will probably wash it after I quilt it. But this quilt is supposed to be hanging in a quilt show soon and I'm just sick over these stains. Does anyone have advice for getting rid of these stains?

:(
Many thanks in advance!

hopetoquilt 04-19-2013 09:26 AM

Grab a pile of small pieces of the same fabric. Create a stain with the same marker and try multiple different ways to remove the stain. I love Zout stain remover but you could also try hydrogen peroxide, or oxyclean. Are you just spritz ing with water or rubbing with a towel? I rubbed out the aqua marker from kona white last night and it worked well. Some places require more rubbing than others.

Prism99 04-19-2013 09:28 AM

I have read online that vinegar will take out "set" blue marker.

Rrom the aqua rings, it sounds as if she is spraying water to remove the marker. I would use a white t-shirt rag instead and dab the vinegar on -- always towards the marker. You don't want so much moisture that the marker is simply diluted and spreads.

And, I agree about testing first on scrap fabric.

hopetoquilt 04-19-2013 09:41 AM

I meant to say rub with a damp white rag (try just water on rag first)

nativetexan 04-19-2013 10:39 AM

you can soak the quilt and the blue should go away. spin out and refill and soak again and spin out. that is what I do.spritzing with water only makes the blue go deeper into the fabric but it's still there. good luck

Tartan 04-19-2013 10:45 AM

I believe someone said that you should not use fabric softener or soap in the I first wash of a quilt with some of the wash out pens because it can cause problems. I am hoping a good wet sponge with take it out but be careful of the backing. Is the backing a dark blue that might be bleeding forward?

Jan in VA 04-20-2013 12:57 AM

I am SO sorry for your trouble!

This is a perfect example of why I personally don't ever use those blue (or purple) wash-out/air-out pens. To my way of thinking, for our purposes, there is no anti-matter....the stuff *has* to go some place! It might not be the correct wording, but I call this stuff "fugitive" because it's always hiding somewhere.:mad:

Hope you are able to find a good solution.:)
Jan in VA

Kat Sews 04-20-2013 07:49 AM

I agree with Jan, not only can the blue be a problem, but the purple "air erase" marker sometimes returns it you iron the area here it was used.

Peckish 04-20-2013 08:03 AM

What does the manufacturer recommend?

Nammie to 7 04-20-2013 09:55 AM

Hopefully all the blue will disappear if the whole quilt is immersed in water. Otherwise it is just floating further out. I feel your pain!