Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ar-r-r-g (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ar-r-r-g-t207863.html)

sweetlummi 12-09-2012 04:54 AM

wow you all spend a lot on this machine. I got a Brother last month or may be the month before. I runs very good just done a quilt I could not handle very will it was big . But the Brother had no trouble with it at all. It was a bout $200 I love it good luck on finding the machine you wont it took me over a month to pick one out.

Debbie C 12-09-2012 06:00 AM

it is NEVER a good idea to run over pins - my mom taught me how to sew when I was about 7 years old and instilled that rule into me very well. I still have her beautiful old Featherweight that I learned on, and I'd never run it over a pin. The same goes for my newer machines...please try to break that habit - you're only asking for trouble otherwise.

Yooper32 12-09-2012 06:11 AM

This is exactly why I keep my old Elna, bought new in 1964 and cost what was, in those days, a fortune. I hauled it out two years ago to sew up a pillow cover for my grandaughter that was heavy brocade and the center top was a latch-hook picture on that heavy weave. I always used pins and flew over them after buying this machine. Now, with a computerized machine, I had to re-train very seriously. I still use pins on occasion, but make sure to sew slowly and pull them before I get to them.

QuiltswithConvicts 12-09-2012 09:19 AM

I used to not worry about sewing over pins until I hit one dead on. The pin was sliced in half, but the shaft that holds the needle & goes up & down bent. Repair cost was as much as a new machine! I learned to slow down a bit & pull those pins out before I get to the, I have Janomes & they stop on a dime, so you can stop even when speeding!

glenda5253 12-09-2012 10:45 AM

Even with my best intentions sometimes a pin will get missed. Luckily the worst I've suffered is a broken needle but I would NEVER intentionally run over pins, computerized machine or not.

pokeyscorner 12-09-2012 12:20 PM

Have you tried using those tiny applique pins. Just a thought - I love them!:) They've saved me a few times.

quiltingnana1 12-09-2012 01:16 PM

Love my janome!

KyKaren1949 12-09-2012 07:12 PM

I feel like I've paid too much for my Janome 6600 to take a chance on breaking it over a pin. I always take them out.

IBQLTN 12-10-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 5704481)
You have to remember that with any computerized machine you chance throwing the timing out if you hit a pin.

That's true for any machine, mechanical or computer ... it's just the computer models cost more because the technicians have to know more.

Try pinning in the seam allowance rather than across the seam ... in other words the head of the pin would be facing you and the point facing the machine's needle instead of left to right.