Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   argggggh!! I give up! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/argggggh-i-give-up-t193903.html)

Scissor Queen 07-07-2012 12:45 PM

argggggh!! I give up!

My oldest Granddaughter graduates from Air Force basic training Thursday. I got her a world atlas and I really wanted to make a cover for it with "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" on the cover. So I started off with peltex, fabric and stencil letters. First off the letters ended up to big so I cut it down to "Places to go" then it was impossible to applique the letters to just the fabric so I went ahead and ironed both inside and outside fabrics to the peltex so it was stabilized. Then my machine decides it's not all that fond of the peltex and the letters just looked awful. So then I decide I can use pellon fleece instead of the peltex. I tried to satin stitch the front, fleece and back around the edges and that really turned out crappy. Now that I've gone thru a yard and a half of Walmart fabric I'm going to just give her the atlas.

I don't get to go to her graduation either. It's outside, in July in San Antonio Texas. I just can't take that kind of heat and sun anymore.

Neesie 07-07-2012 01:13 PM

Since it won't be washed, Heat & Bond (regular) would make it easier. You could also make it easier on yourself, by using some of that pre-quilted fabric (unless it's double-faced, I'd still line it).

KellyPA 07-07-2012 01:19 PM

Having one of those days myself. Sorry it has been rough!

hopetoquilt 07-07-2012 04:58 PM

Why not take her out for lunch or breakfast to celebrate graduation? Graduations are not the least bit thrilling to me and i have a BS and MS. I think if I got another degree, I would skip the ceremony... I am sure she will love the atlas. BTW. why not a pillowcase with the theme? I think it is a cool idea and she would use the pillowcase more.

BellaBoo 07-07-2012 05:30 PM

The only way I do fabric letters and numbers is by Terry Atkinson's book Fat Quarter Fonts. It's so easy with perfect results every time. My 12 year old niece and DGD mastered the technique the first time. They went a step more and used coloring book pictures instead of letters. I'm not a big fan of Mrs. Atkinson's patterns but I think this book should be in everyone's quilt library.

Congratulations to your DGD accomplishment! Military graduates are very special people!

Tartan 07-07-2012 06:21 PM

Write a nice inscription in the atlas and present it proudly with love. I like the Kenny Rogers song....know when to hold them, know when to walk away, know when to run.... I have run away from some of my sewing disasters. I used to carefully pick them apart and try to salvage the fabric but now I send it to the charity shop or the round recycling bin (garbage) Yes, it waste a little fabric but it saves my sanity.

DogHouseMom 07-07-2012 06:55 PM

I recently made letters that I appliqued to a quilt.

I typed what I wanted in word, chose the font I liked - then played around with the font size until it fit the quilt. I then traced the letters onto my steam-a-seam - cut them out - and appliqued them.

Just remember to trace them backwards.

(I taped them backwards on my window as a "light box" then taped the steam-a-seam over it to trace).

Silver Needle 07-07-2012 08:14 PM

So sorry things did not work out as you imagined. I hate it when that happens. I just did a quilt for grandson's birthday that wasn't what I envisioned. Give her love and spend some time with her when you can as suggested above. Sometimes I think time spent with someone can be our greatest gift.

Jo Cypher 07-08-2012 10:57 PM

Our daughter graduated from Air Force Basic training in Sept. of 2006. We made the trip down, from WI.
Sounds like an awesome gift idea. Our daughter has visited many locations while being stationed, deployed (Iraq and Afghan) as well as many short trips she has taken since being in Germany the past 2 years.
Your granddaughter will enjoy your gift.

Sewfine 07-08-2012 11:47 PM

Couldn't you just embroidery it on a block and go from there? I am making my son a Navy quilt with the three ships he has been on and I embroidery some of the places he has been. Was suppose to be a lap size, but the ship did not show to well printed in 5" x 7" so I did them in 8" x 10" and now it fits the top of my King Cal bed. Struggling with it but is determined to finish it. Almost there.