Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Art Gallery Pure Solids (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/art-gallery-pure-solids-t320392.html)

Diane Louise 04-03-2023 12:20 PM

Art Gallery Pure Solids

How much do the Art Gallery solids fray compared to Kona or Moda Bella solids?

tallchick 04-03-2023 12:35 PM

I have never had any issues with AGF solids or any of their fabrics, beautiful fabrics to work with.

joe'smom 04-03-2023 01:30 PM

Much less fraying than Kona or Bella. I rarely have to cut any threads off of Art Gallery fabrics after pre-washing. I think they must have a higher thread count and finer threads, judging by the unique feel of the fabric.

Diane Louise 04-03-2023 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8595531)
Much less fraying than Kona or Bella. I rarely have to cut any threads off of Art Gallery fabrics after pre-washing. I think they must have a higher thread count and finer threads, judging by the unique feel of the fabric.

That’s what I thought I had heard before. Fat Quarter Shop has them as their Basic of the Month so I figure it’s a good time to try buy some.

peaceandjoy 04-04-2023 05:16 PM

A few years ago, after being thoroughly disgusted with the Kona, I did a completely non-scientific study of fraying in several brands of solids.

Kona came in dead last - I wouldn't use it unless I had no other choice.

Art Gallery was absolutely the best. Frayed the least and feels soooo good. It's very smooth and almost feels crisp. I highly recommend it.

Diane Louise 04-04-2023 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 8595679)
A few years ago, after being thoroughly disgusted with the Kona, I did a completely non-scientific study of fraying in several brands of solids.

Kona came in dead last - I wouldn't use it unless I had no other choice.

Art Gallery was absolutely the best. Frayed the least and feels soooo good. It's very smooth and almost feels crisp. I highly recommend it.

thanks for this info. Very helpful

SusieQOH 04-05-2023 07:42 AM

Art Gallery fabrics are fantastic. I love using them, both prints and solids.

WesternWilson 04-05-2023 09:50 AM

Me too! They have such a fine hand. One of my ongoing projects is collecting a yard of each colour for my solids shelf...

joe'smom 04-07-2023 11:04 AM

For future reference, I've just washed several pieces of Century Solids, and didn't have a single frayed thread to snip off, whereas the regular prints in with the solid had tangled fraying in the usual way. I think this is the first time I've used the Century Solids (I think these are from Andover, made to go with their reproduction fabrics).

Diane Louise 04-07-2023 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8596004)
For future reference, I've just washed several pieces of Century Solids, and didn't have a single frayed thread to snip off, whereas the regular prints in with the solid had tangled fraying in the usual way. I think this is the first time I've used the Century Solids (I think these are from Andover, made to go with their reproduction fabrics).

that’s good to know!