Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Art Quilters: I Need Your Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/art-quilters-i-need-your-help-t59493.html)

catrancher 08-15-2010 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Before I go on, I want to give credit for this design to:

Original art © Maren Schaffner

Maren has graciously given me permission to use her design to make a quilt for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. This is the first time I've done this. By that I mean, I created a transparency and then a drawing. Then I made templates and fused them to the background. Now I'm using thread to add texture. My question is this: Where the large cat's white bib is, I've used black thread and sort of "scribbled" to give it texture. I'm thinking that I should do the same thing now with white thread to give it even more texture.

And then . . . should I do it again with gray? And what about the smaller cat? Should I do it the same? Or different?

I'm thinking the white will extend out into the black, whereas the black is invisible. It seems that it would give it a more fur-like texture, but I don't want to overdo it. I'm a complete beginner at this kind of a quilt, and so I'm not sure what I'll get. Also, I'm going to do some thread work in the smaller cat's ears and a little on it's body--some shading. And then I think it'll be finished except for adding the borders.

Maren's design was on a greeting card. I'd post a picture of the greeting card, but I'm not sure about how copyright works, and I don't want my post to get deleted. I'll tell you this though. I forgot that I had to reverse the drawing, so my quilt is a mirror image of what the greeting card was. (Shhhhhhhh. Don't tell anybody.)

mcdaniel023 08-15-2010 09:11 AM

I am no help but it sure is cute. I love it.

amma 08-15-2010 09:28 AM

Maybe try your idea on a scrap and see how you like the combination of colors?
I really like where you are going with this :D:D:D

mosquitosewgirl 08-15-2010 09:33 AM

You are doing an amazing job with this beautiful piece of art. I am familiar with that artist's work and I think she will be most impressed. Your blending with the black thread looks purrfect and you seem to be on the right track with using the grays and whites as well. I can't wait to see it all the way done!

Moonpi 08-15-2010 09:45 AM

Right now, the effect is individual hairs, and it looks great. If you add another color and start criss-crossing the black, you could lose that effect. Doodle on some scrap and you'll see what I mean.

I can only think of one way not to cross - using a twin needle. While it would work, you'd have to move slooooowly, and stop with your needle in the up position when you change direction. I'd save the white for the blue-eyed cat.

It is wonderful!!!!!

catrancher 08-15-2010 09:57 AM

Thanks! That's what I suspected. I'm glad you confirmed what I was thinking.

sewmuchmore 08-15-2010 09:59 AM

I love the way it looks now, you are doing a fantastic job.

bearisgray 08-15-2010 10:37 AM

I think you have the "right amount" of stitching on your tuxedo cat to get the right "fur effect"

Nice job.

MinnieKat 08-15-2010 11:55 AM

OMGosh that is soooo cute!!

ssgramma 08-15-2010 11:57 AM

That is so adorable! So is your "catrancher" name!!