Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Artifil thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/artifil-thread-t260417.html)

Julienm1 01-28-2015 05:07 AM

Artifil thread

Was at local dsm dealer and was told to only use artifil thread in my machine. What thread do you use and what weight?

EIQuilter 01-28-2015 05:24 AM

I use Aurifil 50wt.

sewbelle52 01-28-2015 05:29 AM

I do too. It's a finer thread and sews beautifully. Also when I press, the 50wt. reduces bulk so I get a truer seam allowance of a quarter inch. Not a lot of lint in my machine either.

PaperPrincess 01-28-2015 05:38 AM

Hmmm, and does your DSM dealer also sell Aurifil? I agree that it is a wonderful thread, but I'm very skeptical when someone says you can only use one specific brand. Some individual machines are fussy. I would buy a single small spool of various threads from different manufacturers to see what you AND your machine like best.
For piecing, I use 60 wt Presencia

Lafpeaches 01-28-2015 05:40 AM

My machines like any thread. I do have some Aurifil but it is costing $12-14 a spool around here. I also like connecting thread, mettler, Isocord.

ManiacQuilter2 01-28-2015 05:42 AM

I use what my Bernina dealership told me to use: Mettler silk wrapped thread. But that was back in the 90s but I still use it and have had no problems during all my years of quilting.

madamepurl 01-28-2015 05:50 AM

50 weight Aurifil is my favorite thread. Thin, no slubs, not very much lint, and all my machine's love it. For quilting, I love So Fine #50 by Superior and Glide by Fil-Tec.

Sewnoma 01-28-2015 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7067248)
Hmmm, and does your DSM dealer also sell Aurifil? I agree that it is a wonderful thread, but I'm very skeptical when someone says you can only use one specific brand. Some individual machines are fussy. I would buy a single small spool of various threads from different manufacturers to see what you AND your machine like best.
For piecing, I use 60 wt Presencia

What she said! I also use Presencia, it's stronger than Aurifil. (but more expensive too)

Aurifil is great thread though, it's my second favorite (after Precensia) for when I need thin thread. When I want thicker thread (like when I want quilting to show) I use Connecting Threads cotton thread. Aurifili sn't cheap, but shop around for deals. Fabric.com has pretty good prices on it.

Definitely try a variety though, and see what you like. My dealer told me to only use "good quality thread like Robison-Anton" (which they sell) when I bought my machine and she gave me a ton of it with my machine...and I hate it. Well, maybe not "hate" but I've come across knots in two different spools and I think it's way too thick and linty for the price. My machine is not at all fussy, I could probably pull random strings out of my clothes and it would sew with them, *I* am the fussy one!

Onebyone 01-28-2015 06:20 AM

I like Aurifil thread and use a lot of it but I would tell any dealer that said to use only Aurifil not to hold their breath.

feline fanatic 01-28-2015 06:36 AM

I also agree with paper princess. If any dealer told me to ONLY use a specific brand/type of thread in my machine my confidence and trust in that dealer would immediately go by the way side. There are so many wonderful threads out there, not just for piecing but for machine quilting and thread painting and applique. there are glow in the dark threads, metallic threads, holographic threads, invisible threads, water soluble threads, and super fine threads that allow us to do wonderfully intricate detail work. then there are the fun threads intended only for bobbin work, like Superiors Razzle Dazzle and YLI's candlelight. Why would anyone limit themselves to only one brand/type of thread?? That is ridiculous and so self limiting. I say spread your wings and fly and experiment with different threads for both piecing and for quilting. You won't regret it and you will learn so much more about your machine and not be afraid to adjust tension on both top and bobbin. IMHO anyone who limits themselves to only one type of thread, well that is like eating the same exact food for every meal, every day. No thanks. As my mom always said, variety is the spice of life!
Oh for piecing, I currently use Aurifil 2ply 50wt in the top and bottom line 60wt polyester from Superior Threads in the bobbin. But I have heard wonderful things about the presencia so when I have used my current cone of Aurifil up I will spice up my life with some Presencia!