Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Artistic liberty 18-8 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/artistic-liberty-18-8-a-t265063.html)

terriamn 05-10-2015 05:20 PM

Artistic liberty 18-8

Does anyone have the Artistic Liberty 18-8 if you do do you recommend it. Thanks I appreciate any info I can get. Terriamn

Prism99 05-10-2015 05:37 PM

Are you trying to decide on purchasing? If so, have you tried other longarms so you can compare machines? In that price range, I personally would prefer some other possibilities over the Janome. If that is the only machine you have looked at so far, I would encourage you to attend some quilt shows and try out other brands before making a decision. One of my reservations about it is that Janome has not been in the longarm business as long as some other more tried-and-true longarm companies.

terriamn 05-10-2015 05:40 PM

I am trying to decide, don't feel I make enough quilts to justify spending ten grand on a machine. Thanks Terri

Prism99 05-10-2015 07:01 PM

Well, you're looking at about $6,500 plus tax for a new AL 18-8. What about a used setup? It's fairly common to find a Voyager 17 with stitch regulator and Hinterberg stretch frame for $3,000 or less. I believe Bailey and some others come in fairly low too, even when new. There are used longarm websites too that you can search for opportunities in your area. Some people have gotten really good deals on Craigslist.

ManiacQuilter2 05-11-2015 04:13 AM

I would certainly do as Prism99 suggest: get yourself out to a larger quilt show to try the various models that are available. You wouldn't buy a car without driving it first and it should be the same with a LA.

dc989 05-12-2015 11:26 AM

I have a Janome Artistic 18 longarm. Bought it about three years ago for about $8000. I have had problems with it esp the jog switch and tension issues. The wiring harness was replaced in the warranty period because of these problems. Still occur on occasion. I have found it to be temperamental and can't really recommend it. When it is not in PMS mode it works fine for personal use, esp if you can do basic mechanic duties. Absolutely not for professional use. Sorry this is so negative, but I feel like I was ripped off and have had to fight the dealer all the way too. BTW they no longer carry this machine.

tdvxh 05-17-2015 04:15 AM

I also have a Janome Artistic 18-8dx. I use Artistic touch software on a tablet. I can't begin to tell you the problems I have had. The longarm it's self is fine for free motion. My problems start when using the software. But let me just say that the technicians at The Grace Company are the best in the world. I'm on first name basis with some of them because I call so much. It's working fine now, thank God, and I am happy. Can't figure out how to post pics here but when I do, I'll post some of my work. Good luck Terriamn.