Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   assembly line sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/assembly-line-sewing-t180876.html)

Buckeye Rose 02-27-2012 09:23 AM

If there are multiple blocks of the same pattern, I will complete one to make sure all is correct, then chain sew the remaining.

QuiltingCrazie 02-27-2012 09:27 AM

I get bored doing one block at a time but I still do it with certain ones. Took me a long time tho to get the hang of assembly line sewing. Im doing it in my current quilt it does make it go faster. Good for you though do what works!! I just started making sample blocks before i do a quilt I used to just go all in

Learner747 02-27-2012 09:30 AM

My mother taught me to chain piece so I do so when I can. The rest of the time I piece as best I can but I always feel guilty of not using my time wisely.

AliKat 02-27-2012 09:50 AM

Chain piecing is more productive for me. I keep a copy of what I am doing on my sewing machine or nearby so I can look and check that I am doing the correct sewing. This is important because I do stop and start on my sewing quite a bit and I definitely don't want to start sewing only to later find I did it wrong!

It is the finished product that is my goal.

ali

MaryLane 02-27-2012 10:31 AM

You should do what works for you. I am the exact opposite. I make my test block to work out any kinks and then I work best doing everything in order for all the blocks.

I work in a lab and most of us are very effecient at doing multiple analysis on multiple samples simultaneously. BUT...if we step into someone else's set up in the middle it takes twice as long because all of our minds work a little differently.

I hate to cut everything out in advance and have it laying around. I like to cut the piece I need next for each block. At my BOM they keep telling me I really need to cut everything out before I sew. Doesn't work for me.

Do what you enjoy and we won't tell the quilting police.

Sadiemae 02-27-2012 10:52 AM

To be honest, it depends on my mood. I chain piece with no problem, but sometimes I get bored. So, I do what I want-when I want. Even with a sampler quilt, I will often sew 3 or 4 blocks at the same time. I made the four Craftsy free BOM blocks yesterday just for fun, and I made them all at once. As long as I can lay them out it works for me. It would frustrate a lot of people, but I enjoy it. I tried to teach someone to chain piece and there was simply no way she was going to be able to do it. The fun part is that we can all do it our own way, and it will all work out.

LadyElisabeth 02-27-2012 11:09 AM

For me, it depends upon the pattern/block. Some blocks get confusing but for others assembly line just speeds things up.

almond 02-27-2012 11:55 AM

For me, I find cutting a little then sewing a little works for me and my back & legs so that I am not in the same position for more then 5 min. at a time.

Jamiestitcher62 02-27-2012 11:58 AM

Oh boy, I just finished a stack and whack and the chain piecing was confusing the heck out of me. I am used to one block at a time as well. It was very weird especially when trying to keep the colors in the right order as I went along. I only screwed up a couple of times, but it's still stressful to do it that way.

Barbara Antman 02-27-2012 12:05 PM

Piece by piece! I don't have a sense of direction, and still can't tell you north, south, eas tor west directions. lol I can do left, right, up and down. I think that has something to do with it. My husband always says" I could get lost in my own back yard". I go by landmarks, and hope certain business never move!