Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attaching border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attaching-border-t225748.html)

Miss Fay 07-13-2013 04:44 PM

Attaching border

I squared up the corners of my twin size quilt which is 72" x 57 1/2". And then I cut my border strips 4 1/2" wide. Then sewed them on without measuring them. I forgot you are suppose to measure them to the size down center of the width and the center of the length. Do I need to re-do it? Thank's for any help you can give me. Miss Fay.

Prism99 07-13-2013 04:58 PM

Find a flat surface to lay out the entire quilt top. See if it lies flat. If the edges have waves or ripples you cannot straighten out, you will need to take the borders off and re-do them.

BellaBoo 07-13-2013 05:40 PM

Instead of measuring the width and length, I lay the border strip down the middle and cut to fit both ways. I don't have to mess with a tape measure. Works perfectly every time.

mighty 07-13-2013 06:22 PM

Did they fit ok and lay flat? If not they will have to be redone.

Jingle 07-13-2013 06:35 PM

There are usually more than one way to do things. For me when it comes to putting the borders on and them looking nice is to do it the 'right way'. I do mine like BellaBoo.

Scissor Queen 07-13-2013 08:09 PM

I never measure mine. I make sure they're long enough and then pin them on from the center out. I sew them on with the border fabric on top of the quilt. Unless you're using a walking foot your machine will feed the bottom fabric faster than the top fabric. If the border is on the bottom you are basically easing the border to the top and it will be a little ruffly.

DOTTYMO 07-13-2013 10:21 PM

I always measure in centre not always with a ruler but I also put them on by pinning centre of border to centre of side and then pin at ends and share out equally both sides.it helps to share out discrepancy if you have any.

Silver Needle 07-14-2013 04:41 AM

However you do it, as a longarm quilter I want to encourage you to make sure your borders lie flat. We can't always ease in all that extra fabric in a ruffly border as we quilt your top. Sometimes it requires a tuck/pleat in the border, which is something we always hate to do.

soccertxi 07-14-2013 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 6176477)
However you do it, as a longarm quilter I want to encourage you to make sure your borders lie flat. We can't always ease in all that extra fabric in a ruffly border as we quilt your top. Sometimes it requires a tuck/pleat in the border, which is something we always hate to do.

Ditto what Silver Needle said! I follow BellaBoo on applying borders...I love that I have no math and when I'm done, its FLAT!

thimblebug6000 07-14-2013 08:26 AM

Lay it out on a flat surface & measure both sides, if one is more than 1" longer than the other, I would remove it & redo it. We each have our own preferences for techniques and I guess in the long run, it's your quilt & if you think it looks good then that's what really counts, unless you're planning on entering it into a judged show.