Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attaching new machine to old drop in sewing table-possible? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attaching-new-machine-old-drop-sewing-table-possible-t86740.html)

amma 01-01-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Up North

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
Ha! I don't have the table in front of me Coyote..So I can't check it out and figure out your descripion...However, you had a similar suggestion..I've thought of getting someone to make and attach a wooden shelf to sit in the drop in part ( to make the machine even with the table top)

This is what I was going to suggest.

and then you make an insert to go around the machine, to make everything flush :D:D:D

Tink's Mom 01-01-2011 02:05 PM

I have seen a cabinet that was modified for this...The husband took 4 shelf brackets...the ones that look like an "L". Attached the one part to a shelf they made to fit the opening, and bent the other part on a 90 degree angle to attach to the bottom of the cabinet top.
It worked for her...she just lifted the machine in and out as needed, and then flipped the lid over to cover the hole.

sherriequilts 01-01-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I have seen a cabinet that was modified for this...The husband took 4 shelf brackets...the ones that look like an "L". Attached the one part to a shelf they made to fit the opening, and bent the other part on a 90 degree angle to attach to the bottom of the cabinet top.
It worked for her...she just lifted the machine in and out as needed, and then flipped the lid over to cover the hole.

this sounds like a really good idea. Hope it works out for you.

SherriB 01-01-2011 02:26 PM

What about an older machine? Would they work? I have a cabinet that a Singer Touch and Sew is in and would love to swap it with my Singer 301A.

tjradj 01-01-2011 02:31 PM

Can you find some towel racks that are deep enough and screw them to the underside of the table top. You can rest the machine on them. The towel racks would be like slings. Then if your machine has a acrylic extension table, just lay it on top with out legs on, to fill in the gaps.

/__________/

ArtisticDesign 01-01-2011 03:21 PM

Oh, great ideas..Thanks you guys...Now I'll feel more comfortable about purchasing it...
I am curious about the towel rack idea...Now I have to go look at towel racks to see if I can't visualize what you're describing lmao

joyceinoh 01-01-2011 03:28 PM

The wrong type of table could cause your machine to vibrate and that would jiggle things out of place/line.
It happen to my serger, the loopers were way our of line. NOT GOOD
Big repair bill.

ArtisticDesign 01-01-2011 03:35 PM

Good point Joy, I'll have to experiment on my old machine first... As of right now I am trying to sew on the end of my banquet table which is causing my machine to vibrate bad ( still using my old machine till I resolve my sewing problems)

I do have my own small sewing room..However, trying to fit 3 hobbies in it on a not so big budgent for organizing is proving to be a little difficult.

thepolyparrot 01-01-2011 05:16 PM

SherriB, to convert your Touch & Sew cabinet to accept a 301 is pretty easy - you just have to buy the cradle and brackets that fit the 301. They usually cost about $30 on eBay.

The little brackets attach to the inside front lip of the opening on top of cabinet with screws and the cradle fits onto the hinge pins. (Those are what are holding the T&S in the cabinet, now)

Don't buy a cradle that doesn't have the brackets - without the little brackets, the cradle will fall right through the opening.

smith.lindac7 01-12-2020 07:31 PM

I think we have done a similar thing. I have a Brother Sewing Machine for years, but didn't have a cabinet for it. It was always a nuisance to haul the machine out of the closet, out of its box every time I wanted to use it. I have been looking for a used cabinet for a very long time. (I wanted black) I found one for $30. Very sturdy, but needs some TLC as it has been painted several times and the present so-called finish is black chalk paint and is chipped in spots. Ok, so...I can strip and sand and paint it a shiny black. ...there are no hinge pins...no biggy...I can get those...in looking at the bottom of the machine...there is no place to connect hinge pins... !! I have been searching for a solution and I stumbled upon this forum. I like the "shelf idea"...did you ever get one made? Please keep me posted as to your solution and how it worked out. Thanks!