Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attaching Quilt Labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attaching-quilt-labels-t310111.html)

JENNR8R 03-12-2020 06:07 AM

Attaching Quilt Labels

Has anyone ever tried attaching quilt labels with raw-edge applique adhesive?

If so, did you sew around the edges afterward?

If you didn't sew around the edges, did it stay on after washing?

Kwiltr 03-12-2020 09:22 AM

No, I haven’t done that. I always attach mine in the corner of the quilt before sewing on the binding, so it is caught on two sides by the binding and then I just hand stitch the remaining side(s) by hand. That way I feel it is very securely attached.

JENNR8R 03-12-2020 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr (Post 8368167)
No, I haven’t done that. I always attach mine in the corner of the quilt before sewing on the binding, so it is caught on two sides by the binding and then I just hand stitch the remaining side(s) by hand. That way I feel it is very securely attached.

Mine that I sew on are securely attached too. What I'd like to avoid is the label not laying flat. The bigger the label the more it baloons out. I thought using the raw-edge applique adhesive would solve that. I'm just not sure if I should still sew it down.

Rhonda K 03-12-2020 11:19 AM

Not sure exactly what you mean. Would you use heat n bond to secure the label? You could use a strip of seam a seam to hold down each edge to secure the label.

You can also use a stabilizer or starch to stiffen the label fabric. Not sure why the label balloons out.

I make my labels on the embroidery machine. They are doubled in size so I can fold RST and stitch to create a pocket. Turn right side out. The top of the label is folded so no raw wedges there. There is one side seam. The two raw edges are sewn into a corner of the label. Then covered with the binding.

There are only two edges left to stitch onto the quilt. The top edge and the side where it was seamed together. I pin the label onto the quilt to hold it in place while doing the final stitching.

The reason I double fold the label is to have some extra fabric in case of tears or tatters. Matching fabric is already in the quilt. Hope that helps!

JENNR8R 03-12-2020 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8368184)
Not sure exactly what you mean. Would you use heat n bond to secure the label? You could use a strip of seam a seam to hold down each edge to secure the label.

You can also use a stabilizer or starch to stiffen the label fabric. Not sure why the label balloons out.

I use Printed Treasurers for my labels. I use Lite Steam-a-Seam 2 for raw-edge applique.

Using a strip of the adhesive on the edges wouldn't help. My sewing the label around the edges secures them just fine. Starch is temporary.

By using Lite Steam-a-Seam 2 for the whole label would permanently adhere the entire label to the back. Unless that is done, the middle of the label baloons out. The larger the label, the worse the problem.

I was wondering if I still needed to sew the edges if I used the adhesive on the entire back of the label.

I don't know who else to explain it...

suern3 03-12-2020 01:34 PM

When I use Steam-a-Seam or similar product for applique projects, I generally stitch around the item using either a button hole stitch or a small straight stitch. It helps cut down on fraying and adds a decorative element. It would work the same for a label, I think. Another idea that might work for you is to attach your label to the back of the quilt before quilting and then it will quilt it right to the quilt. I like this idea but usually don't have the label ready in time. Hope this helps.

DeltaMS 03-12-2020 01:53 PM

Yes, and it is peeling up some...I would stitch it down.

Rhonda K 03-12-2020 02:47 PM

Thanks for the update.

I like to use a light weight fusible stabilizer on the label fabric I like shape flex or sheer magic. Good luck!

mjkgquilt 03-12-2020 03:43 PM

I have created the labels I use on quilts and sew them to the backing before doing the quilting. Make the quilt labels with the embroidery software. Do not know how to attach a picture.

Tartan 03-12-2020 03:44 PM

I like to use Bonnie Hunter’s method of attaching labels. I put a folded square (triangle) in one corner and stitch the 2 raw edges down when I attach the binding. I then hand sew the folded edge to the back of the quilt with an invisible ladder stitch. I then hand sew my binding to the backing.