Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attempting to make order out of disorder---- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attempting-make-order-out-disorder-t163216.html)

kbs 10-25-2011 03:29 PM

Just found lots of foam board that I could afford and some here on the board gave the measurements that they used when setting up their stash. Can I get some suggestions on cut sizes. My stash could run anywhere from a yard to 3 or four. Any suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance.

Janetlmt 10-25-2011 03:37 PM

I make my own boards for fabric. I use foam board cut into pieces 5 X 6 for anything up to 2 yards. The measurements I use for larger quantities is 12 X 8. The larger size board is the foam board..or if I have it corrigated plastic from Home Depot.
Our Dollar Tree store has foam board for , you guessed it...1.00 a sheet. The corrigated plastic at Home Depot is located in the aisle with the cut glass and mailboxes. It is about 5.00 a sheet. It is well worth the price.
To cut it out..I just mark it with pencil..and use a 60mm rotary cutter.
Hope this helps you. I am a do it yourselfer.
Peace and Blessings,

craftybear 10-25-2011 03:39 PM

thanks for letting us know

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I make my own boards for fabric. I use foam board cut into pieces 5 X 6 for anything up to 2 yards. The measurements I use for larger quantities is 12 X 8. The larger size board is the foam board..or if I have it corrigated plastic from Home Depot.
Our Dollar Tree store has foam board for , you guessed it...1.00 a sheet. The corrigated plastic at Home Depot is located in the aisle with the cut glass and mailboxes. It is about 5.00 a sheet. It is well worth the price.
Peace and Blessings,

paulswalia 10-25-2011 03:41 PM

I cut mine at 7.5 by 24 - allows me to put the fabric on the bolt just like it is at the quilt store. Of course, you need space to store it. I stand it on the side on open metal shelving that I bought at Lowe's home store. All yardage over one yard goes on it's own board, one yard pieces go three to a board.

lawsonmugs 10-25-2011 03:59 PM

Peace and Blessings,

Janet thank you for the info. How are you doing?Hope your doing well. I keep you in my prayers. Mary

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 04:01 PM

it will be great when organized :thumbup:

DonnaR 10-25-2011 04:21 PM

My husband cuts my boards for me. They are 6 wide and 12 long. I wanted them that size for 2 reasons. 1) When you fold your fabric for cutting I fold it to 11" and that way it is ready to cut when I unfold it. 2) This particular size fits the wire drawers that I store my fabric in. Also I don't store my fabric by color. I store it by size. I do this because I hate it when I find just the right one and it is too short to use. I also color code my boards with the colored stickers: pink = 1 yard, green = 2 yards, etc. That way if I pull out fabric to look at I know which drawer it goes back in. I hope this helps.

Judith1005 10-25-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaR
My husband cuts my boards for me. They are 6 wide and 12 long. I wanted them that size for 2 reasons. 1) When you fold your fabric for cutting I fold it to 11" and that way it is ready to cut when I unfold it. 2) This particular size fits the wire drawers that I store my fabric in. Also I don't store my fabric by color. I store it by size. I do this because I hate it when I find just the right one and it is too short to use. I also color code my boards with the colored stickers: pink = 1 yard, green = 2 yards, etc. That way if I pull out fabric to look at I know which drawer it goes back in. I hope this helps.

wow, you are awesomely organized. it makes a lot of sense. and is very helpful the way you code it.

Judith1005 10-25-2011 04:49 PM

Peace and Blessings,

thanks for the great tips. i'm on a greatly reduced budget. so this really helps me.

athomenow 10-25-2011 06:04 PM

For my larger yardages I get the cardboard ones from JoAnns or WalMart. They just throw them away.