Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attended First Beginners Class Yesterday (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attended-first-beginners-class-yesterday-t104879.html)

gmaybee 03-04-2011 11:17 AM

I teach beginner quilt classes and have had a few men in them. I find they are usually more precise when cutting and then sewing 1/4 seams. It seems to me that a lot of them have been engineers or construction workers. One time I had a husband/wife and she ended up hating quilting and he loved it. He bought her a new machine, so it solved machine issues she was having in class and she enjoys it now also.

DirtyPaw 03-04-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Good for you for going to the class even though your man friends turned up their eyebrows at you! :thumbup:

Quilting is a wonderful hobby that is very rewarding. We look forward to see the things you create! :D

I see quilting as very similar with wood working. You have to make exact measurements, miter corners and be creative. The only difference is the materials you use and quilting is better because you only really need one machine to do all the beautiful work quilters can do. With wood working the tools never end before you exhaust the space you need for storing them. I like quilting much more.

jodimarie 03-04-2011 11:57 AM

Hey Dirtypaw!!

I am your neighbor in Leavenworth...lets get together one afternoon. I'm easy to find, just a block from Fort Leavenworth!!

jodi

DirtyPaw 03-04-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
Hey Dirtypaw!!

I am your neighbor in Leavenworth...lets get together one afternoon. I'm easy to find, just a block from Fort Leavenworth!!

jodi

WOW how nice that we are so close. I would love to meet you and have some coffee. I attend classes at Quilters Quarters by the way. I am really enjoying learning about this fun craft.

jodimarie 03-04-2011 12:09 PM

check your private messages for my phone number!!

makakehau 03-04-2011 01:17 PM

How cool.
There was a man in my beginner quilting class.
He seemed to be doing an outstanding job, but
never came back after his second class. I
have always hoped it wasn't because he
felt uncomfortable.

Good luck to you,

Lori

Donna Mae 03-04-2011 01:33 PM

oh boy another one is born!!! congratulations and have fun.
simple quilter

nantucketsue 03-05-2011 03:06 AM

Welcome to the board. There are plenty of male quilters, have you seen Ricky Tims? Join The Quilt Show, it is so inspiring and great entertainment. Don't forget to let us see your finished project. A word of warning though, this site is addictive.

nantucketsue 03-05-2011 03:14 AM

I see quilting as very similar with wood working. You have to make exact measurements, miter corners and be creative. The only difference is the materials you use and quilting is better because you only really need one machine to do all the beautiful work quilters can do. With wood working the tools never end before you exhaust the space you need for storing them. I like quilting much more.[/quote]

You are right about the first sentence, my son makes furniture. However, ask any quilter how much space they require and what tools they need. My son once commented, "Mum we didn't we take up crafts that require minimum space and less tools?"

edensgaite 03-05-2011 07:01 AM

Welcome to the quilting world...Enjoy it. Quilters are great people.
Mikki

P.s. I wont be attending this yr, but there is a great longarm quilters show in Overland Park they have a great showcase of quilts and have tons of vendors for the quilters to enjoy, you should check it out. Its a great place for inspiration. Let me know if ya want more info.