Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ATTENTION: All Paper Piecing Professionals I need your help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attention-all-paper-piecing-professionals-i-need-your-help-t62078.html)

MzMcKee 08-29-2010 06:02 PM

I did purchase a straight edge called Add a Quarter. I'm using EQ5 to print my pattern pieces. I just couldn't figure out how to determine how much to cut. I'm going to take all these suggestions and run with them.. but not tonight. I trashed so much fabric today just trying to figure this out I don't want to go back there till I've got a fresh head. Thanks Everyone! Hugs and Good Night!

BKrenning 08-29-2010 06:19 PM

I like to cut up one foundation and glue it to the appropriate stack of fabric strips then cut around it at least 3/8". This works really well when making a bunch of blocks and I always do it with the odd angle shaped pieces.

Lady Shivesa 08-29-2010 06:20 PM

Yeah, I just pick (or cut) a piece that is larger than I need. The only tricky part about that can be triangles - if you're looking at the pattern's front (where all the lines are) and cut a triangle accordingly, it won't work when you go to sew it on the 'back.' If that makes sense...

amma 08-29-2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I like to cut up one foundation and glue it to the appropriate stack of fabric strips then cut around it at least 3/8". This works really well when making a bunch of blocks and I always do it with the odd angle shaped pieces.

I do this too, just be sure to flip the foundation piece upside down (writing side face down) and lay it on the fabric, which should all be right side up. Other wise your pieces will be mirror imaged the wrong way :wink: :D:D:D

BellaBoo 08-29-2010 08:22 PM

The Add Enough takes the guess work out of is it big enough?

wvdek 08-29-2010 09:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I don't really precut the shapes. When I PP, I use a piece of fabric held up behind the pattern with my Ott lite behind so that I can see if there is enough for a 1/4" seam all the way around.
Once I have the piece sewn on, I just fold the paper back to within 1/4" from the sew line, trim, fold paper back and put on the next piece.

Since I can't hold it to the light and take a pic, here it is lying down. Once I sew and trim (ignore the number order),

RoxanneS 08-29-2010 09:28 PM

I just made a Queen in paperpiece. I found if I made the sizes MUCH larger than the 'logical' piece, I didn't have to 'unsew' the make the sew right.

raptureready 08-30-2010 04:36 AM

If you use a piece of template material (with the precut straight edge as your card to fold the paper over attach it with a piece of strapping tape to your ruler. Line up the edge with the "lip" of the Add-a-Quarter ruler. It keeps both the card and ruler in line and together. Only tape one end.

MzMcKee 08-31-2010 05:11 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thank you for the photos. They help a lot! I'm going to give it another try come this weekend. I'm determine to make this one happen. This will work!

Thank you everyone!

MzMcKee 08-31-2010 06:51 PM

OK, so who can wait for the weekend. And maybe I should have! I need more help I think. Someone suggested the Carol Doak DVD, so I've ordered it. And some of the paper too. It's suppose to not be coated .. so no slip. Yes, slipping is a problem too. I will not give up!