Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attic Window Layout (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attic-window-layout-t297271.html)

TeresaPendino 05-29-2018 04:27 PM

Attic Window Layout

Has anyone done an Attic Window w/the main panel as one pane & then diff size panes? If so, would u mind posting photo please?

I am doing one of a Solitaire Sentinal Wolf as the main pane. Then I have 16 different blocks of animals that I was going to do as panes. I also have various sizes of blocks of inspirational quotes that I had planned to do each as a pane. I know this is going to be a matter of making all the panes and laying them out.

Just wondering if anyone else has done something similar so I could get an idea or if it is doable before I commit. Son was also wanting me to appliqué some dream catcher blocks. Just having a hard time visualizing at the moment of how to make it all work.

Thank you much in advance for any insight you might be able to give.

Teresa

Sandygirl 05-30-2018 02:17 AM

It is doable. Write out your layout design idea. We need to see your “vision” for the layout. That would be a start. Pls post it so that we can assist. I love making attic Windows. I can probably help you.

We will need block dimensions.
Sandy

Conchalea 05-30-2018 03:03 AM

I think it’s doable. As Sandygirl said, make a layout so you can see what’s in your mind. I use graph paper to better help with dimensions. Maybe the wolf in a larger center pane with all other parts in smaller ones. The one you want to emphasize could be the focus with all secondary ones surrounding it. They could even be different sizes from each other.

bakermom 05-30-2018 04:07 AM

I bought this book years ago. While I haven't made a lot of attic window quilts, this helped me get the look I wanted when I have made them.

https://www.amazon.com/Attic-Windows...+window+quilts

Kitsie 05-30-2018 07:09 AM

oh yes, I like the idea!

Krisb 05-30-2018 07:47 AM

It sounds like a great idea. I would do step one with the fabrics, laying out the big panel and the surrounding panels, leaving space in between for the window sashes. Try it both with all panels of one size together, and with the sizes mixed. When you like how it looks, move to your graph paper.

There are lots of panel quilts patterns and T shirt quilts on the web you can look at for help. And post a pic when you are done!

TeresaPendino 05-30-2018 08:58 AM

Thanks much to you all for your responses! The last time I posted images of what I was planning to order, the thread got deleted by moderator. So I will end up having to buy the fabric, and do a design wall layout and photo that. I was hoping to visualize by using images before I commit to buying the fabric. (Money a bit tight at the moment. Just bout my son a very expensive instrument for band.) I could do it on my desktop but was really needing outside thoughts on what i was looking at. Would be hard to tell for others if i screenshotted my desktop, lol. Thanks again for all the advice.

thimblebug6000 05-30-2018 11:22 AM

If you select the Picture section of the forum, there is a sticky there with photo albums, choose the attic window and you can see many photos, hope something there might help you.

GingerK 05-30-2018 06:32 PM

Re reading your initial post, I think it will end up being something that will need graph paper (for the computer inept like me). If you draw out your main window in the middle--using a 1 or 2 inch to one square ratio. I think it will help you visualize the side panels. It is totally do-able. You could also think of it as a medallion type top with the wolf panel as the center. I would love to see your progress.

Sandygirl 05-31-2018 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaPendino (Post 8067545)
Thanks much to you all for your responses! The last time I posted images of what I was planning to order, the thread got deleted by moderator. So I will end up having to buy the fabric, and do a design wall layout and photo that. I was hoping to visualize by using images before I commit to buying the fabric. (Money a bit tight at the moment. Just bout my son a very expensive instrument for band.) I could do it on my desktop but was really needing outside thoughts on what i was looking at. Would be hard to tell for others if i screenshotted my desktop, lol. Thanks again for all the advice.

Patterns begin as a “design concept” . No fabric required at this point. We need the dimensions of the panel, the size of the blocks you say you “have” . We cannot help upyou without furthur info. This concept you asked fir us not difficult but we need additional information. Yes, graph paper is a great starting point.