Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attic Window (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attic-window-t172599.html)

coachmatthewsvhs 12-19-2011 08:09 PM

Attic Window

So, here's my question: I have a large panel of a woodland scene. When I cut it into squares for my "windows" do I take out the fabric that the "window frame" would hide if it was real? Or do I just use all the fabric? Does that question make sense to you? :thumbup:

jillnjo 12-19-2011 08:18 PM

Not sure I totally understand your question, but I'll try to help! You cut out pieces of your woodland scene fabric in the size the pattern requires for the "window" square, fussy cutting out what you want to have showing in each window. Remember that the seam allowance will be taken and make a bit less of the "window scene" show when sewn together. The frame pieces will then be cut of another fabric that will appear to be a frame to your woodland scene! Do I make any sense? Probably not!

irishrose 12-19-2011 08:20 PM

Usually you'll have to take out the 'frame' amount otherwise you will distort the images. Your deer, horse, or trees will become wide or tall, depending on whether it's a verical or horizontal cut. A floral landscape might be okay, but nothing with a discernable shape.

I just finished an Attic Window quilt, but mine were separate images so I didn't have your issue.

moreland 12-19-2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs (Post 4796133)
So, here's my question: I have a large panel of a woodland scene. When I cut it into squares for my "windows" do I take out the fabric that the "window frame" would hide if it was real? Or do I just use all the fabric? Does that question make sense to you? :thumbup:

I think it depends on what your panel is--I did a big bunch of these last year and simply cut my panel into the required number of squares--was careful to keep them in order, but I did not worry about taking any of the fabric out to accommodate the window pane. I was following a pattern (no idea whose) and that was the way they said to do it. All my panels were scenery, garden scenes, and some winter wonderland scenes.

BETTY62 12-19-2011 08:40 PM

Good luck on your quilt. An Attic Window quilt is on my to do list for 2012. I am glad you questioned this pattern as the replies you receive will also benefit me. Thanks.

Ruby the Quilter 12-19-2011 09:44 PM

Mine is on the quilting frame ready for Tin Lizzie to do her magic. Mine is scenes of golfers.

shnnn 12-19-2011 09:47 PM

I have a piece of fabric I am thinking the same thing for. I think I have decided to not take any out, and make the window frames on the thinner side... there may be some distorted bears, but it is so pretty I don't think I can make myself turn any bit of it to scrap! But, by the time I start I may think something else!!

Sandygirl 12-20-2011 04:18 AM

It's all illusion! Do what makes sense to you. I just cut the pieces. It will awe and amaze either way! I love attic windows.
Sandy

coachmatthewsvhs 01-14-2012 08:08 AM

Thank you all for your ideas..... mine will be eagles flying. Think I will try it as is and then remove the "frame" portion if it distorts the eagle too much. I would have responded earlier... but just figured out how to find my thread!!! LOL I'll get there!

Holice 01-14-2012 08:15 AM

Several years ago I made an attic windown quilt and didnt fussy cut but rather just cut into the squares required for the size. In the end I didn't really notice that it was not fussy cut. It was an all over jungle scene.
I then did what I call a "Mock Attic Window". This means I didn't cut the sashing for a mitred corner but rather folded over the end making the mitre. It went together really fast. I didn't close the fold mitre but probably should have. I really don't feel that you need to fussy cut unless the pattern is one that might require it. No one has evern commented on my cutting the tails of the monkeys off. After all, if you look out the windown you are going to cut some of the scene at the edges of the window frame.