Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   attic windows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attic-windows-t191055.html)

illinois 06-07-2012 04:11 AM

attic windows

I need some help making a yardage actually look like a person is looking through a window. When adding the "window", it breaks the scene. How does a person get the continuity right? I hope I'm explaining this so it is understandable. Example--an animal is in the yardage but, if I cut and insert the window frame, it will throw off the dimensions of the animal and not leave out the part that should be covered by the frame. Will I lose that amount of yardage when doing attic windows? Tutorial on this??

paulswalia 06-07-2012 04:38 AM

short of applique of the window frame over the yardage, I don't see how you cannot lose some of the scenery. I would fussy cut out the important parts of the person, eyes, mouth, etc and make sure they made it into a frame of the window so the idea is clear that it's a person looking thru the window.

nycquilter 06-07-2012 05:34 AM

yes, you do lose some but the human eye automatically corrects for this. Imagine looking through a paned window, you almost don't see the panes.

PaperPrincess 06-07-2012 05:34 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I've done this before, it wasn't really hard, but I've tried to type the directions up 3 times and it is REALLY hard to explain!
Basically, I pieced the window parts, basted them together to make a grid/lattice and laid them it the uncut fabric and made a mark where the raw edges of the windows touched the focus fabric. Then I removed the windows and measured 1/2 from the original marking. This second measurement would have been covered by the window fabric (make sense?) This is where you would cut.
The half inch allows for the seam allowance. Seems like you would only need to add a 1/4 inch, but that's not the case.
Try this with some scrap fabric first.

QuiltE 06-07-2012 05:44 AM

Measure once, measure twice, and measure again!!! :D

I understand your dilemma ... depending on the width of your window frame, if you don't allow for this, you could have a very stretched out disproportionate animal!

Start with the measurements of your finished window frames and panes.
Sketch it out on paper first. Then draw it on the printed panel with chalk.
Next do your cutouts, being sure to add 1/4" all around for the seam allowance.

Krisb 06-07-2012 08:07 AM

If the "lights" in your window are exactly 1/2" wide, you should have no displacement. Just draw the lines for the center of the window panes on the yardage, cut and sew on the panes. If they are wider, QuiltE has good tips for you. I would sketch out the setting on paper first if you are using window frames larger than 1/2 inch. This is a kit that did all the work for me. You should have 1/4" of the yardage under the frame on each side, so if your frames are wider than 1/2", you will lose some of the yardage or distort the picture.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...h_025fa3e0.jpg

Yes, I am obsessed by the Aerial Lift Bridge. And I am sorry that I cannot credit the maker of the kit, but I don't remember the name.

illinois 06-07-2012 08:21 AM

This is beginning to seem harder than I hoped it would be! All suggestions appreciated.

As my granddaughter said, why do all the things you want to do, seem so hard?!

Krisb 06-07-2012 08:23 AM

It isn't hard so much as somewhat tedious. You just need to measure carefully and cut carefully.

QuiltE 06-07-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by illinois (Post 5271562)
This is beginning to seem harder than I hoped it would be! All suggestions appreciated.

As my granddaughter said, why do all the things you want to do, seem so hard?!

And what would you say to your DGD ... abandon that idea?
No, you'd probably encourage her that it's worth doing the little extra, persevering, and learning something new.

ITA with KrisB ... it's not so much hard as tedious. Just take your time and then measure and cut carefully!