Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attitudes towards young quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attitudes-towards-young-quilters-t209770.html)

AuntieD 01-01-2013 12:30 PM

It is so sad that people can be close-minded. Some groups are more welcoming than others to newcomers. I don't belong to a group, keep meaning to join the local quilt guild but haven't. I've been to many quilt shows and some of the comments I hear about quilts/displays amaze me. I guess the quilt police are all over. I do hope you can find a friendly group of quilts to join. And remember, you are always welcome here.

eyes 01-01-2013 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by AuntieD (Post 5754948)
It is so sad that people can be close-minded. Some groups are more welcoming than others to newcomers. I don't belong to a group, keep meaning to join the local quilt guild but haven't. I've been to many quilt shows and some of the comments I hear about quilts/displays amaze me. I guess the quilt police are all over. I do hope you can find a friendly group of quilts to join. And remember, you are always welcome here.

When we moved here 30 some years ago I tried to be a part of the crafting community and got the door slammed in my face without any one even looking at my work. I was judged when I walked through the door. I've been soloing since and it didn't stop me from doing what I enjoy. And I'm still doing it today. So don't give up!

BellaBoo 01-01-2013 01:18 PM

At our guild you draw a seat number when you sign in and you are always seated next to someone you may not know very well during the business meeting. Our group is about 30 per meeting and groups of friends were always sitting together. That's just natural to do so. Having assign seats really work to get to know other members, and who to avoid later. LOL
My first guild meeting felt lost and confused. Right off the bat the person next to me said I need you on my committee and volunteered me. I said sure just tell me what you want me to do. My second meeting I was doing the demo table as the chairman was sick. I've been involved ever since and have held every office at one time or another.

Yarn or Fabric 01-01-2013 01:19 PM

I had gone to a quilt guild in town and didn't feel welcomed. I am not young. I'm turning 45 this year but my friend and I both felt as if we were being snubbed. We were definitely the youngest people in the group.
A year or so later I started a local chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild and we have a nice wide range of quilters. Most of them are under 35 which is super. I find it refreshing and love the modern movement.
Long story short.. you might want to seek out a group that is more welcoming. If you lived closer to me, you'd be welcome to hang with us. We're a very off beat group - but not all groups are like that.
Don't give up :)

flutefish 01-01-2013 01:24 PM

I second that you would probably enjoy a chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild. They tend to skew a lot younger. I think it also helps if you seek out a sizeable group--that way you are more likely to find people who are welcoming. I'm also a member of a not-modern guild; I find that some of them are kind of indifferent but others seem really excited about passing their knowledge on to "the next generation."

misskira 01-01-2013 02:00 PM

I'm 28... I've felt VERY welcome in our modern quilt guild. There are quilters of all ages there with a bit of a different mindset.

joyce888 01-01-2013 04:46 PM

You may have had some unpleasant experiences in person but not here. We all are young at heart and ready to offer positive renforcement to every new and "old" quilter. Welcome to the board!

ghostrider 01-01-2013 05:40 PM

The age thing works in reverse, too. Older quilters get ignored as fuddy-duddies at Modern Quilt Guild meetings...even those of us who have been designing and making very contemporary style quilts for decades.

MimiBug123 01-01-2013 06:51 PM

I don't think it's your age. Some long-standing quilting groups are quite "cliquish" and just aren't interested in having anyone new join them. I would try another group or start one of your own. If a group really wants new members, they should take special care to make them welcome. Just don't worry about that old bunch and find you a new one.

mudose8 01-01-2013 06:58 PM

Hang in there! I wish you lived in my neck of the woods. I love helping others with there projects, sometimes more than my own! I recently joined a small group of women who meet to quilt, knit, crochet, stitch, whatever your heart desires. It's fun, very informal and no rules! Keep looking, there are others out there who would be a good match!