Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Auditioning Borders for Bed Runner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/auditioning-borders-bed-runner-t250139.html)

judy363905 07-14-2014 12:41 PM

Auditioning Borders for Bed Runner

2 Attachment(s)
A quick question on border sizes. I am still working on the bed runner, decided not to use multiple colors - found it to be easier. I am using "Night Crossing" pattern in "Bed Runners" -Using Precut Fabrics by Kathy Brown. i have added a third border...the pieced section measures 13-1/2" x 51" unfinished..planning to use finished border sizes of 1" brown, 2" Aqua and 3" floral. This will finished at approx 25"x 63". In the pattern the finished borders finishes at 2" and 4". Question would i be better with a 4" floral that would also make the runner a couple of inches wider. thank for looking :)

PS squares are 5" square unfinished...this is reason I was concerned about the border sizes

Judy in Phx, AZ

erstan947 07-14-2014 12:59 PM

It is totally a matter of taste. I like what you have done in the 1st photo. Love your fabrics!

jbening 07-14-2014 01:56 PM

Personally I like the 4 inch floral border. Very nice color combinations.

Jackie Spencer 07-14-2014 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947 (Post 6801011)
It is totally a matter of taste. I like what you have done in the 1st photo. Love your fabrics!

Ditto, Its going to be beautiful!!

Jeanne S 07-14-2014 05:12 PM

Either 3" or 4" will look nice, but if you have the fabric I vote for the 4" outer border.

ManiacQuilter2 07-15-2014 04:44 AM

In the limited photo, I really don't think the aqua does anything for the bed runner but that might be because I am seeing very little of the aqua in the print. And aqua is MY favorite color. I would prefer to see the the rich tan instead. But you are the one that is going to be looking at it every day. Good Luck with your final choice.

nanna-up-north 07-15-2014 07:24 AM

My rule about borders is that you don't want any two fabrics to be the same width. That isn't proportionally pleasing to your eye. So, when I want a 3-fabric border, I often will choose 1", 2 1/2", 4"..... or 1/2", 1 1/2", 3"..... something like that.

And the picture you posted on the left would be more desirable to me.

bearisgray 07-15-2014 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6801926)
In the limited photo, I really don't think the aqua does anything for the bed runner but that might be because I am seeing very little of the aqua in the print. And aqua is MY favorite color. I would prefer to see the the rich tan instead. But you are the one that is going to be looking at it every day. Good Luck with your final choice.

Ditto the above comments.

The first thing I also saw was the aqua border. I also looked for it in the prints - and didn't see it - and I was wondering "where did that choice come from?"

I like the proportions of the borders on the image on the left better than the proportions of the image on the right.

Again - it is your project - your choice.

I think the other fabrics that you have chosen look very nice together.

AlvaStitcher 07-15-2014 07:51 AM

My vote is picture #1 too

michelleoc 07-15-2014 08:10 AM

I think what you've done in #1 is beautiful. And I, for one, love the aqua. For me it just makes the quilt 'pop'.