Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Auditioning Borders - Opinions Welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/auditioning-borders-opinions-welcome-t221832.html)

Cybrarian 05-19-2013 06:35 PM

I think the bottom one echoes colors in your piecing and maintains the energy and vibrancy. I agree with alisonquilts on why the other 3 don't seem to work as well.

quiltjoey 05-19-2013 06:58 PM

If I were to use one of those fabrics, I would choose the bottom one as it allows the blocks of the quilt to be projected instead of competing with them. The dark fabric allows the white in the background to pop out. I like your baby quilt!

quiltin-nannie 05-19-2013 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 6073392)
I vote for the tone-on-tone pink. Keeps the eye on the piecing. May not be so matchy-matchy but it works for me.

I agree, tone on tone.

Nammie to 7 05-19-2013 08:52 PM

I see the red or orange first when I look at the quilt - don't see any pink or purple. If I had to pick one that is featured if would be the bottom one. Now I think we probably have you totally confused!

ArtsyOne 05-20-2013 03:39 AM

I wasn't crazy about any of the displayed borders either, but couldn't put my finger on why. Thank you all so much for helping me to clarify. I've decided to try a border of the white background squiggle fabric and then bind it in the bright red of the little squares. The backing will be the white squiggle. Thank you! I feel so much better now.

GailG 05-20-2013 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 6074430)
I wasn't crazy about any of the displayed borders either, but couldn't put my finger on why. Thank you all so much for helping me to clarify. I've decided to try a border of the white background squiggle fabric and then bind it in the bright red of the little squares. The backing will be the white squiggle. Thank you! I feel so much better now.

I'm only jumping in on the tail end of this but I think you have made a wise decision. I was thinking about a narrow bright border and then the "squigly" background piece for a wider border. BTW, it's a precious quilt top. I just love the D9P pattern.

Cagey 05-20-2013 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by michelleoc (Post 6073710)
Do you have more of the BG fabric that you used? I think that would look best. My second choice would be red to match your small blocks.

I agree. One of the fabrics used in the quilt would compliment the quilt. Looks like too many patterns otherwise.
Love the quilt.

Quilter 65 05-20-2013 05:29 AM

I really like these postings. I study the picture, make MY decision, and then read the comments to see if I was on or off base. Very helpful in the learning color process.

klaws 05-20-2013 08:14 AM

I think I would go with something more red than pink.

Dina 05-20-2013 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 6074430)

Oh, I think this is a good decision. It will look wonderful!!

Dina