Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Aurifil Invisible Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aurifil-invisible-thread-t220788.html)

FancyFoot 05-05-2013 01:06 PM

Aurifil Invisible Thread

Has anyone used Aurifil Invisible Thread for FMQ?
Can I use it in the bobbin? if not, what bobbin thread should I use?

cricket_iscute 05-05-2013 05:02 PM

I see you don't have any answers so let me take a stab at it. I haven't done it, but would think you could use Aurifil Invisible thread for fmq and I would use Superior Bottom Line Thread in the bobbin. Both are good threads. Bottom line is 60 wt.

Nammie to 7 05-05-2013 06:02 PM

I use Bottom Line in the bobbin.

Gay 05-06-2013 01:46 AM

I too am searching for suitable invisable thread to use in my LA, not sure of which brands are best. I have been told by an excellent quilter/tutor to not use nylon thread, as it deteriorates after a few years. Polyester is supposed to be best, but can one get a transparent thread? Bobbin thread is too thin - and breaks easily :confused:

pumpkinpatchquilter 05-06-2013 07:01 PM

I hope that you all see this post as I'm jumping up and down saying "I know I know I know - pick me!!!" as I read your question!!! POLYESTER is the way to go when it comes to invisible thread ALL DAY LONG!!! :) Superior Threads Mono-Poly is the one I use. It's wonderful. You CAN use it in the bobbin but I have much better luck using either a thin cotton or a regular polyester thread in the bobbin.

***BIG TIP - if your new to free motion quilting and using a polyester thread or polyester invisible, use a smaller needle. A 10 is usually what I use but even an 8 would be good for the thin poly. If you have tried it in the past and had problems the needle could be a big reason why - you can have loops, thread breaks, catching, skipped stitches...also you'll want to drop your tension down low. All machines are slightly different but my machine usually I set the top tension at a 0 to 1.

DOTTYMO 05-07-2013 12:40 AM

I must admits have used both these threads my problem is I can't see the thread to thread it.

mandyrose 05-07-2013 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6049300)
I must admits have used both these threads my problem is I can't see the thread to thread it.

try color the tip of the thread with a black magic marker

Gay 05-07-2013 11:02 PM

I haven't seen Aurifil in my town, but managed to find some Mono poly thread yesterday & it's not cheap at $14 per reel. Threaded up the Long-arm this arvo and experimented. Had to fool around with the upper tension a while, loosened it 3 turns, and finally the stitching is looking good. Just have cotton in the bobbin to match the quilt backing, and not sure of how fast I can run the machine. Will take it slow at first and try some serious quilting tomorrow
I bought some polyester prefilled bobbins a while ago and I think they're great. Not totally transparent but they seem to last for ages, are terrific for machine embroidery, and I have even done piecing with them.