Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Aurifil Thread Colors - confused (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aurifil-thread-colors-confused-t279878.html)

DawnFurlong 06-23-2016 08:00 PM

Aurifil Thread Colors - confused

Is Aurifil 2000 1LQ the same color as Aurifil 2000 1NQ? The look the same, but I'm confused trying to track down what the color is.

Bree123 06-23-2016 09:07 PM

If you can wait until this afternoon, I can ask the product manager of Aurifil (he's coming to give a presentation at LQS). As far as I know, Aurifil doesn't/hasn't used letters to refer to their threads. If I had to guess, I'd guess those letters probably have something to do with either the distributor or vendor. This is what #2000 thread should look like, per Aurifil:
http://www.aurifil.com/wp-content/up...0-1030x689.jpg

ManiacQuilter2 06-24-2016 04:02 AM

What colors are the spools in question??

QuiltE 06-24-2016 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong (Post 7585291)
Is Aurifil 2000 1LQ the same color as Aurifil 2000 1NQ? The look the same, but I'm confused trying to track down what the color is.

2000 ... is the colour number
1LQ and 1NQ are the dye lots

As per the norm, you may notice a difference between dye lots in the colours.

Not too long ago, I went to buy another spool of an Aurifil green variegated thread that I already had. Same colour number, but a totally different hue ... one was white, and the other more yellow. TOTALLY DIFFERENT threads! That's when I learned about the dye lot numbering on each spool.

When I was at Quilt Canada, I took my spools along and spoke with the Canadian rep, who verified the same. She also told me that with the change in manufacturing locations of Aurifil threads, there have been many noticeable differences in the tones/hues of many of the threads.

eeeekkkks as far as trying to match up what we have! :)

DawnFurlong 06-24-2016 04:52 AM

Thank you all!! Bree123 - yes, my thread looks like that. I was given 1 of the spools of thread, needed a 2nd one for a current project. Researched, and felt I was buying the same thread color. But then I noticed the 1LQ and 1NQ on the labels and thought - oh no!! Yet they look the same (but I know something can look like something else but then when you use it you find it really isn't the same).

It is sounding like 2000 is really the thread color then. If it's a different color, then it will be a different number. I really like the Aurifil thread! So much less lint that other threads I have used.

Onebyone 06-24-2016 05:08 AM

Change in manufacturing. To me that means change in the product to yield more profit. Why can't a good thing be left alone?

QuiltE 06-24-2016 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong (Post 7585504)
It is sounding like 2000 is really the thread color then. If it's a different color, then it will be a different number. ..........

Yes ..... as noted in post #4

Geri B 06-24-2016 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7585510)
Change in manufacturing. To me that means change in the product to yield more profit. Why can't a good thing be left alone?

"manufacturing location".... Even more sinister......Bree as the rep where the new location is...I bet across the water!

QuiltE 06-24-2016 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7585519)
"manufacturing location".... Even more sinister......Bree as the rep where the new location is...I bet across the water!

..... it always was across the water!

QuiltnLady1 06-24-2016 12:22 PM

How disappointing -- many of us rely on being able to buy the same color number and having it matched (that is one of the reasons I pay the premium for the Aurifil and other good brands). So we need to guess how much thread we will need and if we have leftovers, we pitch them cause we can't match them. I remember being told that because of the new computer techniques, there is no need to worry about thread dye lots.