Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Automated quilting system for a longarm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/automated-quilting-system-longarm-t286587.html)

Macybaby 03-05-2017 04:10 PM

My husband loves using the robotics, and has zero interest in FMQ. I like the robotics more than I expected to, but still do a lot of quilts without it.

DH is retired and I am not, so he can quilt while I'm working. But if he had not been interested, I probably would not have bought the robotics. I had my machine for a year before deciding to add them.

dunster 03-05-2017 06:14 PM

I do not have robotics, and I do all free motion quilting or ruler work on my Innova. At one time I thought about quilting as a business, and for that I would have purchased a robotic system for those customers who don't want to pay for custom work. However since I haven't started to quilt professionally, I can't justify the expense of robotics. I do think it would be fun to have. I do think I could finish more quilts in less time with robotics, even though I would stay in the room while the system was working. When doing an all-over design, I get bored and have to stop and do something else. The robot wouldn't have that problem!

donna13350 03-05-2017 06:33 PM

qbot

Originally Posted by profannie (Post 7778178)
Donna, do you know if this wonderful feature is new to Qbot or if it is on older version? The system I'm thinking of was bought on 2011 (and very lightly used due to health issue)

No, I don't know if it's a new feature, but qbot has a great forum..just go to the qbot home page and click on forums..you can ask there.

Jan in FL 03-06-2017 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by profannie (Post 7778178)
Donna, do you know if this wonderful feature is new to Qbot or if it is on older version? The system I'm thinking of was bought on 2011 (and very lightly used due to health issue)

As we speak, my Qbot is at the Distributor having software updated....for a price, of course, but it is being updated to have all current features. I bought the updates at the Houston Quilt Show and got a great (relatively speaking) show price for the update.

sewnclog 03-06-2017 07:23 AM

I agree with glassnquilts. I don't even do much 'freehand' but do like the quilting part. Another thing that has made me not want that as the others have said, if mistakes happen and you aren't watching (isn't that when ALL mistaken happen?), you aren't there to catch them. I saw a quilt in a quilt store; was on the frames and had the computer and all set up; it had quilted across the quilt but the entire center part hadn't gotten quilted. Going back and doing that over would not be a time saver.
Personally I'd rather have the system that I've seen in Nancy's catalog where you can 'view' the underside to be sure the bobbin threads are even and not looped. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Vera39760 03-06-2017 03:55 PM

I do not have a robotic system. at one time looked into Qbot. Some one stated it took as much time to set the boundaries for the stitching as to just stitch it. I do not know this from experience but I quit thinking about it after hearing this. I quilt a lot of lap quilts for charity. I had thought it would help get more done. I watched another robot that was set up in a quilting shop. I don't know if the quilt was loaded slightly crooked, but the pattern running left to right was lower on the left side and completely filled the block on the right. I asked the girl that was showing me the long arm about it. . She just turned it off and didn't respond.

profannie 03-07-2017 06:20 AM

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts. As always, one can count on the members of this forum to get some help to take an important decision. I will pass on this and keep my actual system.

jumiku 04-11-2018 02:08 AM

Lawd I feel you pain my husband has me on notice even one more spool of thread and he is done. Good thing I am good hider however a second longarm will that is hard to get past the bounce at my quilting studio door hehe.

Snooze2978 04-11-2018 06:26 AM

My 1st quilt machine was the Viking MegaQuilter 9" but on a Grace Pro frame. I picked up the PCQuilter robotics then upgraded to the MQR. Finally changed machines but kept the same robotics and frame........Juki 98Q stretched to 18". Finally moved up for the last time to an Innova using the upgraded MQR. Now I'm moving on to IQ with the Innova. I love this robotic system as I can record my own patterns and keep them for later as well as use patterns I already have. This system also has the thread break sensor so if the thread breaks or the bobbin runs out it will stop the machine. I have hand tremors so FM is pretty much out for me. I purchased rulers to try but have yet had time to do that. I love robotics but if I do need to do FM or I allow someone else to use my machine that does FM its just a flip of a switch to take up the gears. Wish I could do FM but its just not in the cards for me. Thanksfully we all have options that work for us.

Peckish 04-11-2018 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy (Post 7778160)
The automated machine is quilting away unattended. you could have the one machine quilting away, while you can still be creative on your first machine. Wouldn't that be a win, win??

That's like leaving a 2 year old unattended. Just sayin. :D