Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   And away I goooooo! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/away-i-goooooo-t150166.html)

rob529 09-04-2011 09:12 PM

What mehtod are you going to use? I was thinking paper piecing but now I am thinking maybe the old fashion way with templates. Can't wait to see your progress. Please share. No pressure here. HA

Robin in TX

Annaleehunter 09-04-2011 09:29 PM

May I ask a dumb question? What is a dear Jane?

Kristin in ME 09-05-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
May I ask a dumb question? What is a dear Jane?

Not a dumb question. :) Here's a picture and info about the original quilt made by Jane Stickle during the Civil War. http://www.dearjane.com/ Lots of people have made their own versions- anywhere from complete replicas using reproduction fabrics, to wallhangings made from batiks. There is a book about it, as well as software. There are a LOT of blocks, they are all different and small- 4 1/2" blocks. If you go to the photo gallery here on this board, you can see some that others have made. Making a Dear Jane is a challenge for any quilter!

Kristin in ME 09-05-2011 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by rob529
What mehtod are you going to use? I was thinking paper piecing but now I am thinking maybe the old fashion way with templates. Can't wait to see your progress. Please share. No pressure here. HA

Robin in TX

Well, I like to make things hard on myself, so I'm tracing the pattern out of the book (software is not in the budget) onto freezer paper, cutting the pieces apart, ironing them onto the fabric, then sewing it all together. Whatever method that may be! lol It works for me. The little star in the middle of my first block came out a little wonky, but it's 17 pieces in a square inch for crying out loud! I'm satisfied with it, and expect decent results in general.

Kristin in ME 09-05-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME

Originally Posted by rob529

Robin in TX

Well, I like to make things hard on myself, so I'm tracing the pattern out of the book (software is not in the budget) onto freezer paper, cutting the pieces apart, ironing them onto the fabric, then sewing it all together. Whatever method that may be! lol It works for me. The little star in the middle of my first block came out a little wonky, but it's 17 pieces in a square inch for crying out loud! I'm satisfied with it, and expect decent results in general.

I will add- I'm thinking now would be a good time for me to learn how to paper piece, at least for a few of these blocks! The first one I made, I was licking my finger to make the tiniest pieces stick, in order to pick them up, they were just specks! lol

pjnesler 09-06-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Only took me 4 1/2 hours, but-- I survived my first Dear Jane block!!

I'm too naive (stupid?) to be intimidated by Jane, so I decided to take an aggressive approach with the order I do the blocks. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to start with the hardest blocks first and work my way down to the easiest. Get the rough stuff out of the way, then enjoy the easy part when the enthusiasm might otherwise be flagging, right? Right??

In all my reading, the one block in particular that kept popping up as the scary one was G6. So, by golly, you know which block I'm going to start with! The center star is wonky, but, well, what is it they say? Finished is better than perfect? I'M sure not doing it over! :-D

I wouldn't do it over either, I recall seeing this one done on Simply Quilts, may even have it recorded somewhere. the small triangles on the center star weren't sewn as such, they were folded back to make them dimentional. You did a great job with this challanging block. Mine are sitting under a pile of fabric waiting to be turned into somthing - I know they are there ready to torture me someday ;-)

Kristin in ME 09-06-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by pjnesler
I wouldn't do it over either, I recall seeing this one done on Simply Quilts, may even have it recorded somewhere. the small triangles on the center star weren't sewn as such, they were folded back to make them dimentional. You did a great job with this challanging block. Mine are sitting under a pile of fabric waiting to be turned into somthing - I know they are there ready to torture me someday ;-)

Thanks! I'd be interested to see the other way they put this block together.

Donnamarie 09-07-2011 10:24 AM

Good Luck. I made blocks for a Dear Jane quilt, it took 4 years (in a class) at making 5 blocks a month. Be careful and look at the size of the quilt before you start. I made 10 squares before I realized that the quilt top would be too small for my queen bed. I then started over and made 6" blocks. Beware, there are a lot of errors in the patterns and not so good instructions. The class has ended and I have 22 more blocks to make. I was on such a roll and then came to a screeching halt. I have to get back to that quilt because it is going to be beautiful. I was the only one in the class whom made the quilt with scraps. I did not want to invest in all the civil war fabric since I had so much fabric already. I just love the results. It will be done some day!

BuzzinBumble 09-07-2011 10:50 AM

I'm always impressed by the Dear Janes I've seen! Hope you post as you go along, becasue I would love to follow your quilting journey!

Kristin in ME 09-07-2011 11:02 AM

Sure, I posted the first two here yesterday :) -
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-150808-1.htm