Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Awwww.... they're not selling it in the US! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/awwww-theyre-not-selling-us-t187351.html)

works4me 05-10-2012 09:19 AM

I ordered some Halloween and dragon fabric from Along Came Quilting in Alberta. Excellent service and the fabric arrived yesterday. It is even better than the photos on the site.

If you want the Oh Canada fabrics, I highly recommend Along Came Quilting. I knew going in that the Oh Canada fabrics wouldn't ship for a while but they sent me an email making sure I was aware of it. That was a nice touch. And the shipping came in under the expected price.
http://www.alongcamequilting.com/home.aspx

beaniekins 05-10-2012 09:31 AM

Thanks for the link to that quilt shop. I'm going to Calgary in a few weeks, and I'll have to check it out!

DACO48 05-10-2012 09:33 AM

Hummm?? Northcott must not think that the US has any Moose or Oak Trees!!

QuiltE 05-11-2012 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by DACO48 (Post 5207464)
Hummm?? Northcott must not think that the US has any Moose or Oak Trees!!

Oak Trees? ... those are maple leaves! :)
If you look further, DAC048 you will note that the fabric line is in support of QOV-Canada, so IMHO that's a perfect reason Northcott has made it exclusive to Canada.

And then there's how many fabrics that have been exclusive to the USA? ... that were not available in our Canadian stores?

W4Me ... what a terrific outcome to your order!!! It's always nice to get something that's even nicer than one expects ... and with excellent customer service and speedy delivery, to boot. Looks like you have found a winning shop!!!! :) Now, you'll be even more excited as you wait for your darling meese to arrive ... and will be thinking of all sorts of uses for them! :)

Favorite Fabrics 05-15-2012 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One thing I have noticed in the fabric industry is how much COPYING goes on!

So look what I just found this morning. A "future" fabric that also has moose, and leaves, and a "marble/stone" look to it.

Canadians, I know this is not the red maple leaf... but, if you don't need a "literal interpretation", maybe this one is nice too.

What do you think? (This one *will* be sold in the US!)

QuiltE 05-15-2012 07:28 PM

Not all our maple leaves are red! And those are more realistic looking than many of the depictions we see (including our flag).

As for the copying ... isn't that done in pretty much every industry? Look at all the knock-offs in the fashion industry. And of course, the seasonal trends, one follows the other.

That's going to be a lovely fabric too ... what manufaturer? And are there different colour ways? I can see it as a backing for a quilt.

Favorite Fabrics 05-16-2012 06:55 AM

This fabric is by Paintbrush Studio, which is the quilt-shop-only division of Fabri-Quilt.

About a year ago, they came up with a group called "Marblehead", which is a group of stone-look fabrics that were probably inspired by Northcott's popular "Stonehenge" group. So... I guess I'm not too surprised that they were also looking at Northcott's lines this season, and realized that the moose/maple leaf print would be a good one to copy too. This is sufficiently different than the Northcott QOV one... and I like the green leaves. I think they would work into most people's decor more easily. There is only one colorway.

It's from a collection called "Marblehead Northern Woods" and you can see the entire collection here:
http://www.checkerdist.com/products/...f_a=1&f_v=P100

Oddly enough, none of the other fabrics in this collection are jumping out at me as being perfect coordinates for this one!

QuiltE 05-16-2012 07:12 AM

Thanks for the link ... the green to the right of it looks like a perfect corodinate. And likely the browns. I have the feeling that the online colour depictions are probably very poor vs. IRL

The BIG difference to the Northcott QOV ... is that with the red maple leave, Northcott's says Cnada whereas this one is more generic and woodsie. It'll be coming out at a perfect time for the quilter of the family to pick up ... while the hunter of the family is off in search of the winter's food! :)

I like them both ... and see them for totally different usages.

works4me 05-16-2012 07:44 AM

I see them for different uses as well. The QOV Oh Canada line for patriotic and the Paintbrush Studio line for a woodsy themed quilt, mabe for a games room or cottage or cabin or just an outdoors person's quilt/wall hanging. Maybe even an apron for the bbq'er. Make your guests wonder just what meat they are being served. lol

Sorry, last day of work then 6 days off and I think I'm a little giddy.

Thanks for sharing the fabric.

suechr1 05-31-2012 09:02 AM

When I order from US I never have to pay duty on fabric. That said I'm not buying wholesale. I will be looking for this fabric in the stores. If anyone is interested I could send links to some Canadian stores that ship to US