Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Bib Quilt Suggestions Needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-bib-quilt-suggestions-needed-t50185.html)

pollyjvan9 06-18-2010 06:00 AM

MY DSIL has been asking me for two years to make a quilt using the bibs my grandson used. He had a Trach and it was imparative he wear a bib. Needless to say he had many. He died on his 6th birthday two years ago and I am just now feeling that I can make this quilt for my DSIL without soaking it in tears. So far all I have done is select the bibs. The are old, stained, and several different sizes. Any suggestions on how to set these together to make a quilt to hang on a bedroom wall? Thanks

kristananne 06-18-2010 06:04 AM

First off - (((hugs))). This quilt is going to be so extra special.

Can you do it the way the tshirt/memory quilts are done? Like cut a square of fabric from each bib and then sash around it with a unifying fabric?

sharon b 06-18-2010 06:08 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} You are taking on a very difficult project .

Can you do it like a T-shirt quilt. Attach stabilizer to the bibs, then attach that to a background fabric.

How are you visualizing it ? Sometimes that helps and then draw it out , just basic sketches work ( trust me :wink: LOL)

pollyjvan9 06-18-2010 07:04 AM

I guess this is my problem, I can't visualize it. My SIL wants only bibs, no pictures or anything. I'm not used to doing things to instructions from others. So far all I have done is cut some strips out of some of my family's cotton shirts to use to make the blocks all one size. Guess I will see where it goes. Thanks

Pam 06-18-2010 07:15 AM

This is going to be difficult emotionally to put together, but what a wonderful quilt to have. I am sure that you will have a plan "come to you". When that happens, you will know it is the right one. Your sub concious mind works on it for you while you are off doing other things.

bearisgray 06-18-2010 07:21 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss - I don't know if I'd ever be able to do a project like the one you are contemplating.

Maybe you can start by making rectangles of all the bibs - either cutting them down or adding sashing/strips around them to make them more manageable.

Or by sewing the bibs on to a piece of backing like you would applique something. (Sort of like the Sunbonnet Sues, but these could be Bibs worn by Beloved Grandson) If you used different colors of backing, you could get some color in the quilt, and make the pieces a bit easier to handle.

sewcrafty 06-18-2010 07:22 AM

First, I'm sooo sorry for your loss. :cry: I don't have a suggestion for a pattern either, but when my son was a baby I found this stuff called Bye Bye Baby Stains and it actually really worked. They have/had it in reg. and whites only, at one time I could get it at JoAnns - haven't checked for it lately. I used it on my sister's kids old bibs and it cleaned them right up.

Pzazz 06-18-2010 07:54 AM

My heart goes out to you and your family. Hug hug. Perhaps applique them onto plain fabric squares, then join the squares?

Patti

Jois 06-18-2010 09:42 PM

Interesting idea. I've seen so many quilts that are sewn in strips side to side I wonder if that can be applied to your bib quilt?

Maybe I'd sew blocks of different pastel colors in a row and then add a strip of single fold bias tape across the blocks and then sew a bib into each square so it touches the bias tape and applique two clothespins to the tops of the bibs. Look like the bibs are hanging on a clothes line?

Then add row after row of squares and bibs until you've used up all the bibs or your favorites. I think it might be interesting to turn one bib upside down here an there as if you'd hung them out on the line and put some right side up and some right side down.

Jois

littlehud 06-19-2010 07:17 PM

I'm so sorry. This is going to be a hard quilt to make but will mean so much to him.