Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby-Loc eats my fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-loc-eats-my-fabric-t176041.html)

pacquilter 01-17-2012 07:15 PM

Baby-Loc eats my fabric

I have a Baby-Loc which I love, except for one thing. I've never been able to just put a piece of fabric in and sew without it pulling the edge down into the opening below the foot. I chain piece whenever I can, of course, but I have to use a leader piece anytime I start a new seam. I am curious.. is this common to other machines or unique to the Baby- Loc? Does anyone have any feedback on this problem? Thanks!

ChaiQuilter 01-17-2012 07:16 PM

Bring it in for servicing. Babylocks don't usually behave like that.

GreatStarter 01-17-2012 07:23 PM

Mine doesn't do that, I recommend you take it in for servicing and explain the problem.

Kat

deemail 01-17-2012 09:08 PM

it is best to begin ALL piecing like that...you should hold the threads behind the foot and put the needle down into the fabric...now when you put the foot feed down it will sew perfectly, no losing threads, no rat's nest under the bobbin... this is true of a 21st century serger or a 19th century treadle...

linda8450 01-17-2012 09:17 PM

My friend has a very old Kenmore small sewing machine, she taught me to keep a small piece of scrap for chaining when you aren't really chaining! Her's will give you a bird's nest in a hurry if you don't do that. My Viking Diamond doesn't do it often, but boy, when it does, I get out a scrap and chain! I think some people are just more careful about holding the threads, starting with the needle down, etc. I am not. I just sit down and start, so sometimes I do have to slow down. Linda

irishrose 01-17-2012 11:04 PM

Do you have or can you get a single needle plate for that machine.? It's the size of the hole to allow the needle to zigzag that is causing the problem. Ask me why I don't quilt on my Elna. That's one of the two reasons. Several of the newer machines have a changeable plate.

MadQuilter 01-17-2012 11:05 PM

My Pfaff does that but the Babylock does not. Can you get a straight-stitch needle plate? That was suggested to me for the Pfaff.

sewbeadit 01-18-2012 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 4885859)
Do you have or can you get a single needle plate for that machine.? It's the size of the hole to allow the needle to zigzag that is causing the problem. Ask me why I don't quilt on my Elna. That's one of the two reasons. Several of the newer machines have a changeable plate.

Also you may need to use a finer needle, what size of needle do you use?

katier825 01-18-2012 02:26 AM

It happens on many kinds of machines. Holding the threads when I start off seems to do the trick for me. I only have problems when I forget to do that.

Single hole needle plate is great to have too.

Sunnye 01-18-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter (Post 4885532)
Mine doesn't do that, I recommend you take it in for servicing and explain the problem.

Kat

Ditto that! I just had mine serviced and it runs better than it ever did. He adjusted the feed dogs.