Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Lock Grace 2014 model (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-lock-grace-2014-model-t293255.html)

Whitney60 12-11-2017 05:15 PM

Baby Lock Grace 2014 model

Hello Baby Lock Grace owners,
I have a BLG machine and really like it. However, I'm learning to machine applique and there seems to be a stitch that goes either left or right as a blanket stitch. #13 and #27 on the face plate. The stitch back steps itself which watching other applique utube video's the foot does not back space. (I hope you understand) Is that the true applique stitch. It seems so awkward and I do a bad job to say the least. My machine is 3 years old. Maybe I have the wrong kind of foot as I use the regular flat standard foot. (does not have a clear foot)

Should I just learn the zig zag stitch on applique and call it good?

Does anyone have a Baby Lock Grace that machine appliques out there?

Thank you and Merry Christmas
Donna from Michigan

Dolphyngyrl 12-12-2017 09:03 AM

It helps tremendously to have an open toe foot for applique. I have a lower brother model and have done the blanket stitch on it. Check the manual because one might be a overcast stitch for stretch material it usually looks like it is at an angle

Prism99 12-12-2017 02:05 PM

I think you are using the wrong stitch. I don't use a blanket stitch (which has the double-back in it) for applique. I think the stitch I use is called a blind hem stitch. Basically it takes 3 or 4 stitches forward, then makes a single zigzag stitch into the applique. I adjust the stitch length so the stitches are quite small and the zigzag is also small. Check your machine manual for the "blind hem stitch".

Edit: This is the same stitch that is used to hem curtains, although in that case you need to fold the curtain a certain way before stitching. The "zigzag" portion is the only stitch that shows on the right side of the curtain; the straight stitches are all in the hem.

Whitney60 12-12-2017 03:46 PM

Thank you Prism99 and Dolphyngyrl (hope your fires go out)
Every bit of information is greatly appreciated. If all else fails, I'll take it to the fabric store and get a lesson after Christmas.
It all looks so simple.
Thank you and Merry Christmas.
Donna from Michigan. (It's very cold here with wind)

EmiliasNana 12-13-2017 06:01 AM

I agree with Dolphyngrl................the blanket stitch I use does not go forward and back to lock (which can be indicated by slanted lines or double stitch lines on a monitor.) I may be using the wrong one for applique (my friend likes the one mentioned above), but to me that stitch makes it harder to control. I do not use the blind hem either which has a few straight stitches and then a smallish zig zag. I only use that one when I applique needle turn applique, in place of hand stitching it down. In my Babylock Ellure manual the one I use is listed as #19, a utility stitch for applique. Check your manual for all stitches available and what they are used for. I always make a sample banner of all the stitches on my machine, by number, varying the stitch width and length, to have a ready reference when I am sewing. Hope this all makes sense as my DH has been talking to me the entire time LOL

shasta5718 12-13-2017 08:26 AM

I have found the best way to see how a stitch is going to work on any machine is to take the time to make a stitch book. There are instructions on u-tube done by a couple of people. Also sometimes you can look there for help with your machine.

Feathers-N-Fur 12-15-2017 12:56 PM

My Juki has multiple blanket stitches. I have used both types (with or without the back stitch). The backstitch gives a more pronounced outline to your appliqué, which may or may not be what you want. If it is the only blanket stitch you have, practice makes perfect. I also prefer the blanket stitch to the blind hem stitch, but we are all welcome to do whatever stitch we like.