Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Lock Sewing machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-lock-sewing-machines-t260049.html)

SandySews 01-21-2015 05:26 AM

Baby Lock Sewing machines?

I'm looking to purchase a good machine and am thinking very seriously about Baby Lock. Do any of you own the Crescendo? Are you satisfied? What is the price range of the Baby Lock machines? I will have to travel a good ways to make such a purchase as there's no dealers in my area.

Geri B 01-21-2015 05:35 AM

What dealership is closer to you? Just wondering.......have you tried several different brands..why did you hone on on bl

SandySews 01-21-2015 06:09 AM

I like what I see Mary Fons using and before I go I'd like to know a little before I get shell shocked at the price. I have 3 Berninas and just interested in maybe getting something different. I love two of my Berninas. Sometimes we let good things go by us because we are single minded and think there is only one brand.

huskyquilter 01-21-2015 06:12 AM

Is there a specific function you are looking for in a new machine? Or something you feel is lacking in your Bernina's? Also, depending on your Bernina, you might be able to sell it used for a decent price. Some of the older ones are pretty in demand.

maminstl 01-21-2015 06:23 AM

I have had the Crescendo for about a year or so and love it. At the time, I paid around $3,500

Marsh 01-21-2015 07:13 AM

I've had the Crescendo almost a year now, and really love it. Turned in a Janome which I hated. The wide throat space is wonderful on the Baby Lock. My DH built a beautiful sewing table for me (L shaped). He cut out the area for the machine so it sits down and is level with table - but now I can't use one of the electronic features because I can't plug it in. He doesn't know this yet. I'll have to figure out something.

Dolphyngyrl 01-21-2015 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by SandySews (Post 7057085)
I'm looking to purchase a good machine and am thinking very seriously about Baby Lock. Do any of you own the Crescendo? Are you satisfied? What is the price range of the Baby Lock machines? I will have to travel a good ways to make such a purchase as there's no dealers in my area.

I have the brother version of the unity which has all the sewing features of the crescendo plus embroidery, and I absolutely love my machine for quilting, wide harp, AHA, muvit foot,laser, penpal, lighting, there is not much I don't like about the machine other than it is not portable as it is super heavy. It FMQ beatifuly, lots of nice features. The sewing only version of the brother here runs from 3500 to 4k depending on dealership. Babylocks are usually about a 500 dollar increase from the brother models.

Dolphyngyrl 01-21-2015 08:19 AM

Marsh why don't you have him cut the hole wider at the back of the machine so you can use the pen. Mine sets in a table but has a hole of my insert open at the back where the elctronics sit. Does you table have an insert or os ot just lowere to be flush with the table

JustAbitCrazy 01-21-2015 11:14 AM

I have BL Serenade, which I love, and it's about 3 years old. No embroidery capability, but it has a knee lift for the presser foot, needle down feature (both of those features are great---freeup both hands, especially for machine appique), dual feed dogs, and thread cutter. I got mine on a super sale for around $1,200 at the time.

SandySews 01-21-2015 01:40 PM

I just called a Baby Lock dealer that's about 2 and 1/2 hours away and the price for the Crescendo is 4699.00 and they will only give me a thousand trade in for this 3,000.00 Bernina that isn't even broken in yet. So I guess I will not be trading machines after all.