Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Memory Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-memory-quilt-t131597.html)

GiddyUpGo 06-19-2011 06:31 AM

Hi everyone, just a couple of questions.

I am working on my second quilt. I plan to complete at least four quilts before tackling this project: a baby memory quilt made out of my son's old baby clothes.

It's going to be a while before I start on the project but I was wondering about a couple of things.

The fabric I have for this quilt is a mixture of t-shirt type knits and non-stretchy fabrics, including some denim. With such a broad range of fabrics what do I need to know about stitching them together? I have seen quilts like this before so I know it can be done, but was wondering if there were any special techniques and if so where I might be able to read up on them ... or if I'll need to do more than just four quilts before I'm ready to try such a thing.

Also just wondering if anyone here has made a baby memory quilt, and if so if you can post a picture or a link to the pattern you used?

Thanks in advance!
Becki

GiddyUpGo 06-19-2011 02:16 PM

Maybe should have titled my post "mixing fabric types?"

EskapetheNorm 06-19-2011 02:32 PM

Anything stretchy ... stabilize it with the iron-on interfacing. You may wish to alternate heavy fabrics with lighter ... just so there is no heavy-heavy seams with bulk. I have done tee-shirt quilts, regular piecing quilts and picnic quilts from Dockers, jeans and shirtings. Haven't done a baby memory quilt, but I would google and look at flikr.com for ideas.

mar32428 06-20-2011 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
Hi everyone, just a couple of questions.

I am working on my second quilt. I plan to complete at least four quilts before tackling this project: a baby memory quilt made out of my son's old baby clothes.

It's going to be a while before I start on the project but I was wondering about a couple of things.

The fabric I have for this quilt is a mixture of t-shirt type knits and non-stretchy fabrics, including some denim. With such a broad range of fabrics what do I need to know about stitching them together? I have seen quilts like this before so I know it can be done, but was wondering if there were any special techniques and if so where I might be able to read up on them ... or if I'll need to do more than just four quilts before I'm ready to try such a thing.

Also just wondering if anyone here has made a baby memory quilt, and if so if you can post a picture or a link to the pattern you used?

Thanks in advance!
Becki

I did one for a friend of a friend. The mother wanted it for her daughter's 16th birthday. She gave me a box of pics from birth to age 15 and another box of baby clothes. She had no pattern in mind so I was on my own. Finally decided on a chronological pattern. I transferred pics to fabric and sashed them with the baby clothes fabric like frames and added some baby clothes blocks to fill in. I also had to add some new fabric. I didn't try to square everything up do to the different sizes of the pics.

I used a white on white for one border so her friends could write there names on it. Thinking of college.

Sorry, I could kill myself for not taking pics. This was before I realized you document EVERYTHING.