Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby preference question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-preference-question-t226650.html)

paoberle 07-29-2013 04:41 AM

If mom-to-be has no preference, or if it is a surprise, I like bright colors rather than the traditional pink or blue.

KathyM 07-29-2013 04:42 AM

I didn't get to finish - Rail Fence, Around the World, something easy, but has the colors.

sulyle 07-29-2013 04:44 AM

I prefer brights. They're more stimulating for the little one. I only use pink/blue if it is specifically requested.

applique 07-29-2013 05:03 AM

I tend to make bright applique quilts and the applique is often the gender specific. I've made lots of trucks, cupcakes, doll carriages etc. Looking to do an I Spy with a unique setting.

meanmom 07-29-2013 05:05 AM

Peckish I love that quilt. I have found a lot of the new moms tend to like brights and colorful these days. I ask the mom for some idea of what they like. Mine are usually kinda girl or boy but definatly not just pink or blue. I have made one with duck, owls etc. I am about to start one with animal faces. I love brights. I gave my niece a bright owl quilt. Her son lays on it playing with the colors. It is bright.

GailG 07-29-2013 05:25 AM

I don't do any decorating theme or special colors. The quilts I make are intended to be "utilitarian" and dragged around. It's the one mom spreads out on the floor in the den or even outside. Its the quilt the little one will sit on to play or eat or nap. You know, the one that will get peaches all over it, played on, napped on, peed on and puked on. Then in the wash it goes and dried to start all over again. We went over to see the great grands yesterday and there was the train quilt on the floor with the boppie. Seems little Max had been having playtime right there.

Gail B 07-29-2013 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by janeknapp (Post 6202458)
I made this baby quilt as a teaching quilt (colors, animals, letter names, sounds,) which will take the baby through the first seven years. Can you guess I was a teacher (Grades 1, 2, and 3)?

I love the bright colours in your quilt.

chaskaquilter 07-29-2013 05:47 AM

I use very bright colors and on the label I call my baby quilts "Tummy Time Quilt" I make them a little bigger than a baby quilt size. I have been doing this for a couple of years now as quilts are not used in cribs any more.

cpcarolyn 07-29-2013 05:53 AM

I try to choose the mothers colors. But my DN throw me a curve. Her colors are sage, sand and white. Very uninspiring so I am going to try that Happy Daisy pattern thats been talked about here. Using bright colors.

KimmerB 07-29-2013 06:10 AM

Brighter the better

2 Attachment(s)
I try to stay away from just blue/boy, pink / girl. I like brights and unless the mom has special preferences to go with nursery colors I make what I like. I do try new patterns and new techniques. Here are just two I have made, Flying Zebras was a "stack N whack" class and the Irish Baby chain a pattern I wanted to try (mom wanted blue).