Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Quilt Size (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-quilt-size-t284763.html)

toverly 12-28-2016 10:35 AM

I make square tummy time quilts. Depending on the pattern, they end up somewhere between 36-48 square.

ube quilting 12-28-2016 02:03 PM

I keep baby quilts easy and never make anything bigger than the width of the backing fabric. So 40" square is my top size for babies.
peace

SarahBethie 12-28-2016 02:08 PM

Are there specific patterns for baby quilts? Is there a popular design?

QuiltingHaven 12-28-2016 02:15 PM

I make somewhere between 42 or 45" by 50 x 60" and I make the top the way that the mother wants or it is very baby like (monkeys, princesses, animals, etc.) however, the backside is always made so that it can be used for years - squares, diamonds, stars, nice blocks etc and not a babyish at all)

quiltingshorttimer 12-28-2016 06:04 PM

depending on who the quilt is for, I often will use a panel and add to it. I personally like them to be at least 40" wide and 54" long, but generally will go a bit larger so they can use as toddlers, too.

twinkie 12-29-2016 08:27 AM

When I make rag quilts I make the squares 7" and use 6 of them in a row. That makes them about 38" to 40" square.

Jan in VA 12-29-2016 09:35 PM

Guess I'm the odd one out. I'd suggest looking at the batting you prefer to use (I use Quilters Dream cotton) and see what size their crib size is, letting that measurement be your guide. Quilters Dream crib is 46" x 60."

Jan in VA

bneuen 12-30-2016 03:49 AM

Thanks to all of you for your input. Love reading everyone's responses. Always start my day with the quilting board. Happy New Years to all of you.

Guitarmama60 01-03-2017 01:49 PM

Hi
i am a first time quilter.
I am trying to make one from my granddaughters clothes.
I dont see a site to help me get stared.
Any suggestions ? Thanks

Bree123 01-03-2017 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Guitarmama60 (Post 7732570)
Hi
i am a first time quilter.
I am trying to make one from my granddaughters clothes.
I dont see a site to help me get stared.
Any suggestions ? Thanks

Guitarmama60,
Welcome! You'd probably get more responses by starting a new thread ... but generally making a quilt from clothes is one of the most difficult kinds of quilts to make because those fabrics are designed to have some stretch in them (which is great for clothes, but needs to be stabilized in order to use in a quilt or it will become distorted). I would suggest maybe trying a simple pattern using "quilter's cotton" -- you can buy the good stuff at a quilt shop or in the designer section at JoAnn, or just make a basic one out of the cheapy fabrics that are typically found on the walls at JoAnn like Calico Corners brand or their broadcloth solid fabrics. If you search for "T-shirt Quilts", "Memory Quilts" or "Baby Clothes Quilts", you will find many examples of layouts you can use with your granddaughter's clothes, but again, I'd recommend holding off on that challenge until you've practiced a bit of piecing & quilting with basic cotton fabrics & cotton thread.