Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby quilt. Somethings not quite right (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-quilt-somethings-not-quite-right-t266521.html)

sandrab64 06-17-2015 09:41 AM

Baby quilt. Somethings not quite right

3 Attachment(s)
I am trying to put a baby quilt together winging it with my own design but the colors don't seem to be working. The Mom is a dancer and likes bright colors, modern, but make sure it looks like its for a girl. I think its the butter yellow in the pinwheels that is throwing this off in conjunction with the white. Was so proud of myself for using everything from my stash! Should I use the pinwheel blocks for some other quilt and start fresh for around the ballerina applique panel? Should I continue and incorporate more yellow in the white panel area to tie it together more? Open to any and all suggestions. I do have other pinks i could use. My gut is telling me something is off...

Cari-in-Oly 06-17-2015 09:43 AM

I think I would do the ballerina on the same background fabric as the blocks. It's the white that's throwing it off.

Cari

Geri B 06-17-2015 09:46 AM

My take---- trim down the panel by 1 1/2". Then supplement that difference with a dark pink, magenta, or something similar, then do pinwheels in various shades of pink to magenta...then bind in same fab as surround set dancer.....just my first thought on it

sandrab64 06-17-2015 09:55 AM

Note: ballerina is already appliqued on white so she is staying how she is. I dont have enough yellow fabric to do anything else but add a small border around her. Should I cut the white panel way down and add a large pinkish border between her and the pinwheels to dilute the white? I also dont have much more bright fabric if I did pinwheels with white background. Will probably need to make a trip to the LQS.

RedGarnet222 06-17-2015 09:55 AM

You can set it like shown and add another border of the white. That will balance out the white for you.

JenniePenny 06-17-2015 10:01 AM

Trim the white center down just a little bit, add your yellow polka dot fabric as an inner border, then add your pinwheels. Lay it out - nothing to lose at this point.

Kitsie 06-17-2015 10:09 AM

I like that idea!

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 7229651)
Trim the white center down just a little bit, add your yellow polka dot fabric as an inner border, then add your pinwheels. Lay it out - nothing to lose at this point.

gingerd 06-17-2015 10:35 AM

Trim the white and get rid of the "warm" pinwheels. Swap out the warm ones--orange and red--for something else. You've mixed warm colors with the cool bright pinks and I think that's part of it.

Oh, what if you framed your ballerina after you trim off some white, then put the pinwheels on minus the orange and red ones?

Edited....your pinwheel background is also coming off as yellow or maybe it's a beige. That too may throw you off.

Pagzz 06-17-2015 10:55 AM

try subtracting some pinwheels and adding some that have a white background. Another idea is to over dye everything with a light yellow to unify the colors.

ManiacQuilter2 06-17-2015 11:01 AM

I might have used more shades of pink in the pinwheels. You want the ballerina to be the center of attention.