Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-quilt-t279430.html)

dflynn 06-09-2016 09:42 AM

baby quilt

Do you feel using Patriotic fabric is appropriate for an infant boy quilt.

ManiacQuilter2 06-09-2016 09:45 AM

I don't see why not unless his parents would object.

Onebyone 06-09-2016 10:26 AM

I have found that a baby quilt is more for the mother's preference. Give one in colors or theme she doesn't like and the quilt will not be in a happy place.

Bree123 06-09-2016 11:10 AM

I agree with Onebyone. If the mother asked for red, white & blue, go for it! If she asked for peach & pink, do that instead regardless of whether you think those are appropriate colors for an infant boy.

Increasingly, I've seen a trend toward cool/cold colors over warm colors in nurseries but there are always those traditionalists that love pink for a girl's room or yellow as unisex and rebels who just love a pop of red or orange. I've definitely seen beautiful nurseries done in red, white & blue (as a nautical theme more than patriotic theme). In that case, keep in mind that a little red goes a long way. You could either go with a simple country quilt -- and maybe add just the tiniest amount of yellow along with the red, white & blue. Or you could go ultra modern with very little piecing & lots of open white areas to show off detailed quilting. Or anywhere in between. I love blue and white seersucker prints as well as tiny blender prints with little anchors on them in any of the 3 colors to carry out a nautical theme. And you can always tone it down a bit by adding some grey. There are so many adorable white-on-white prints for kids these days, you really can't go wrong. I'm working on a 1000 pyramids quilt that has white on white alphabet letters (capital & turned every which way) and it's so adorable and understated.

Just check with the mom first to see what she thinks (if you don't have a client/recipient in mind, I probably wouldn't risk a red-white-blue themed nursery quilt; very few people pick those colors for nurseries).

Annaquilts 06-09-2016 12:05 PM

Yes! I think it would be great especiallly if the little fellow is born close to the 4 th. My daughter is due with a baby girl around the 4 th. If the baby is born on the 4 th I will for sure make her a Fourth of July quilt.

suern3 06-09-2016 02:48 PM

I always go with checking with the mom. If you don't want to ask her directly, check her gift registries. Easy way to find the colors she prefers. If it is your daughter's baby, like Annaquilts, you probably already know her preferences and can use the colors you know she will like. It would be fun for a 4th of July baby.

ArlaJo 06-09-2016 06:24 PM

I had a mother request camo fabric for a girl. I shook my head and made it. Whatever mom wants.

Mariposa 06-09-2016 07:20 PM

I think patriotic quilts are great for any age!

BETTY62 06-09-2016 07:58 PM

I believe it will work for a boy or a girl. If that's what you want to make, go for it.

Jane Quilter 06-09-2016 09:26 PM

whatever mom wants