Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby sheet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-sheet-t311673.html)

DogsAREtheBEST 07-07-2020 09:07 PM

Baby sheet

Hello everyone! I habe been gone awhile. Stress mixed with a lot of life changes one being pregnancy slowing me down. I am curious if a quilted (traditional quilt look) fitted baby sheet is a thing? I really want to try to make one but unsure if it's a realistic idea. Or if it's been done. Thanks in advance!

mhollifiel 07-08-2020 03:06 AM

I made a couple of them last year for my toddler grandson out of a nice fluffy synthetic. He loved it and it worked well. I don't see why a quilted fitted sheet would not work and fit even better. Measure twice and cut once allowing a bit for ease. Pick up an old quilted something or even a mattress pad at a thrift store and make a prototype. This will tell you how much to add.

toverly 07-08-2020 04:17 AM

That's a really cute idea. They do get washed alot. So I don't know how long they would last. I prefer to make tummy time quilts and I definitely know babies sleep on those.

SusieQOH 07-08-2020 05:25 AM

I'm a new Nana :) and what's really popular now are called "tummy time" quilts. I made my sweet girl a couple for when they put her on the floor and she loved them. Now that she's 9 months old she no longer does tummy time but I made the quilts for lots of washing and cuddling.
I can't answer your question though.
Good luck with your pregnancy!

Iceblossom 07-08-2020 05:58 AM

As I understand current thoughts about babies and quilts is that the crib dressings should be very minimal. Blankets/quilts not recommended for the first year, just sleeper suits. You can certainly make a fitted mattress cover, just make sure it is ample and secure.

In my Tuesday group, most of the ladies belong to a quilt group that has a preemie project that has some very strict guidelines, like they want the tops pieced to some extent, but we should be aware of the lumpiness of seams, like especially at star points. You might want to keep that idea in mind.

When my son was little, I do remember one night vividly. Poor little guy was spewing from all ends and repeatedly. After the second full changing of sheets and bumper pads, I got out the big beach towels and just wrapped fresh ones of those around the mattress. Since then, I often give a large fun beach towel as a shower gift with a telling of the story and just the all around usefulness of such an item in your car or diaper bag.

DogsAREtheBEST 07-09-2020 09:36 PM

My thinking was a fitted sheet but with the quilted look. So it would have to be tight. Just not sure if that is realistic. I still have not done a bunch of quilts yet.
those talking about tummy time quilts. Bot sure if it's the same thing or not. I have the tops to some small quilts made. I didn't do a specific size on them but I made them a bit to big for a baby so she can play on them but also cover up with them as toddler toddler, since you are not supposed to give them a blanket when they are little one's. (I assume that's the same thing basically) first time mom not very experienced other then babysitting just yet.

Murphy224 07-11-2020 12:42 AM

Congratulations on the new baby! If I read your last post right, .. are the expectant mother and this is your first???
Ten years ago when my granddaughter came along, I made a lot of fitted flannel sheets for her crib. Found the directions online and used the very best quality flannel I could find. Flannel comes in an amazing variety of colors and designs now, not necessarily "nursery white, pink, blue, yellow". They held up very well and when she went to daycare about age 1, they used the foam mat type things for naps and each child had to bring their own sheet. The fitted flannel ones fit perfectly.
But you were asking about quilted fitted sheet. Mattress pads are quilted so that would work, but they are made of a solid piece of fabric. IMHO, A quilt with batting and backing made into a fitted crib sheet, would not be very practical. Crib sheets are subject to being washed daily and a lot of times with bleach and would be very hard on the quilt part of it. Save the quilts for tummy times, wraps when in a stroller, cuddling on the sofa, etc.

DogsAREtheBEST 07-13-2020 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 (Post 8400890)
Congratulations on the new baby! If I read your last post right, .. are the expectant mother and this is your first???
Ten years ago when my granddaughter came along, I made a lot of fitted flannel sheets for her crib. Found the directions online and used the very best quality flannel I could find. Flannel comes in an amazing variety of colors and designs now, not necessarily "nursery white, pink, blue, yellow". They held up very well and when she went to daycare about age 1, they used the foam mat type things for naps and each child had to bring their own sheet. The fitted flannel ones fit perfectly.
But you were asking about quilted fitted sheet. Mattress pads are quilted so that would work, but they are made of a solid piece of fabric. IMHO, A quilt with batting and backing made into a fitted crib sheet, would not be very practical. Crib sheets are subject to being washed daily and a lot of times with bleach and would be very hard on the quilt part of it. Save the quilts for tummy times, wraps when in a stroller, cuddling on the sofa, etc.

that it correct! This is the first for both me and my spouse!
Maybe I will just learn to do flannel one's then get that sounds better.
thank you for the input! I'm still learning a lot because with my breaks I still have not been quilting very long.

CanoePam 07-13-2020 07:16 AM

I make regular crib sheets, and I don’t see why a quilted one wouldn’t work. I would definitely use a very low loft 100% cotton batting or even just a layer of flannel. My crib sheets are made from a 2 yard piece, cut 8” boxes out of the corners, sew the boxes, and add elastic. I use an elastic application foot on my serger, but a casing will work (though a lot harder in a quilted sheet.