Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Babylock Crescendo, does anyone out there have one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/babylock-crescendo-does-anyone-out-there-have-one-t208537.html)

clkonch 02-20-2019 11:01 AM

I realize that I am coming into this conversation late, but have to add my two cents. I bought a Crescendo with the upgrade in August. I really like the wider throat space. I like the ability to use the foot pedal to lower the presser foot and start sewing (that was part of the upgrade). I also own an Ellisimo Gold II so I was already very happy with the self threader as well as the needle down function. I am doing a lot of quilting now and was interested in using the laser guide light for quilting. I do both regular piecing and foundation paper piecing.

I've had the machine back to the dealer's twice already because the laser light shines to the left of my intended sewing line for paper piecing. I called BabyLock directly because I really wanted to use the laser light. To my chagrin, I was informed that the laser light is only accurate (that is, straight) for about 1 to 1 1/2 Inches from the needle!! So they are unable to make the light more accurate. If I sew along with the laser light as my guide, I am sewing about 1/8th of an inch to the right of the sewing line!

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to have paid so much for this machine only to find that the laser light really isn't of much benefit! Even using it to join binding for a quilt is worthless because I use a 2 inch binding strip. And using it to sew half square triangles is also worthless unless you want really tiny HST's!

So, bottom line, the increased throat space is nice. I really like the upgrade feature of being able to lower the presser foot and start to sew just by pressing on the foot pedal. BUT if you are thinking that the laser light is going to be a worthwhile feature, you're doing to be disappointed if you need more than 1 1/2 inch of accuracy from the needle!

Rhonda K 02-20-2019 12:55 PM

Can you post a picture of the screen with the laser light? Are you using the Left/Right shift function? There are two different ways to use the light. I use mine centered on the center seam line (straight out of the needle).

There is another button that moves the light. You can see the light and where it falls on the seam line on the screen. Which way are you using the light? Is this what you are having issues with on the machine?

OR: is the light pointing crooked? I want to be sure that my reply is helpful.

I have the machine and love the light. No issues at all.

PS: Have you set the light with the pen function? That might help re-set the light too.

Good Luck!

clkonch 02-20-2019 06:09 PM

I actually tried to send a photo of the light to BabyLock but couldn't get close enough with my iPhone camera to get a picture -- I was so close that I blocked the laser light itself! But basically the light starts out just a very tiny smidge to the right of the needle then crosses over to the left side. Of course, the further away from the needle, the further the light goes to the left.

I tried re-calibrating the laser light -- no better.

I am starting out with the light dead center, along with the needle being a dead center. I have tried moving the light to the left and then it is inaccurate much closer to the needle. When you paper piece, you want to sew right down the center of the paper piecing line. My laser light and needle are both set at 3.5.

I really thought at first that the laser light just wasn't aligned correctly, but when I called BabyLock directly, they came up with so many excuses about why it wasn't straight

But I think the light is simply aligned improperly. As I said, I took it back into my dealer twice. Both my dealer and the staff member from BabyLock said that it is hard to align because it is so close to the needle.

Maybe I should try purposely mis-aligning it! Maybe it would straighten out that way! But I would love to hear your ideas! My next course of action is to try another dealer!

Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

Rhonda K 02-20-2019 06:19 PM

I will try to take some pictures for you this weekend. That is odd that you received that sort of response. I will check with my local dealer also about your issue. Wonder if the lights can be replaced. I have both the Crescendo and the Dream without any issues.

Best wishes!

clkonch 03-20-2019 12:05 PM

Just wanted you to know that I found another dealer who took a look at my machine and she said the laser light and the pen were not working properly! It is currently back at Babylock because even this dealer couldn't fix it. The light actually crossed over the sewing line -- it started to the right of the needle behind the needle and then crossed over to the left of the sewing line as the light projected outward from the machine! It was so nice to get some confirmation from a dealer that it wasn't working the way it was supposed to. Here's hoping they can fix it!! Fingers crossed!!