Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Babylock Designer's Choice vs. Viking Emerald 183 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/babylock-designers-choice-vs-viking-emerald-183-a-t23097.html)

MerryCrafty 07-22-2009 11:51 AM

Thanks to many of you who have commented on my new machine choice, I'm getting closer. I think I have narrowed it down to these two machines:

Babylock Designer's Choice (around $800 - comes with a bunch of feet and knee lift and lots of features)
or
Viking Emerald 183 (some of the same features, fewer feet, no knee lift, around $600, but will probably need a $100 walking foot)

The Babylock will cost me more but offers a bunch of additional stuff (auto thread cutter, in addition to the knee lift, etc). These are both computerized machines and seem to have a lot in common, but the Babylock is more complicated for sure. The Viking sews a nice stitch but the saleswoman had a number of problems in demoing it for me, so that put me off!

What do you think? Could anyone who has used or owned one (or both) of these machines give me some feedback? Or if you have advice about the brands more generally, that would also be good...

This will be a tough decision since I want something I can use for a number of years to make quilts and some home dec/accessories (bags, pouches, pillows, etc). I cannot afford a wide-harp machine though they look very nice.

Thanks so much!

Rose Marie 07-23-2009 07:45 AM

I have the Viking Sapphire 830 with the large throat. I find it is now a neccessity to have a large throat. No auto thread cutter or knee lift but has everything else. The walking foot was no where near 100 dollars. Ask the shop about the cost.
Mine is not an embroidery machine, just could not afford the extra 1000 dollars for it.
My machine was 1100 when it first came out but is much cheaper now.
Check it out.

liwilliams 07-23-2009 08:18 AM

I have a babylock - not the Designer's Choice - but a different one that has the auto cutter and auto threader. I LOVE the machine - sews so smoothly and the extra features make sewing so much nicer. I haven't had any problems with it and I use it 4 to 5 nights per a week for about 4 years now. I do so much more sewing because I have such a nice machine. The other feature that I love and would not want to be without besides the auto threader and cutter is a clear plate to see how much bobbin is left. I can quicly look and see if I've run out of thread or about to. (The machine also beeps when it's running low.)

Debra Mc 07-23-2009 12:24 PM

I have a Babylock Quilter's Pro Choice & a Babylock Ellure Plus. I love them both. I really like their machines. My dealer is good to help me with any problems.

NorBanaquilts 07-23-2009 12:41 PM

I have a baby lock Espire, and wouldn't trade it for the world. And like liwilliams I sew more because it's such a pleasure over my old kenmore.

MerryCrafty 07-23-2009 10:09 PM

All of these comments have been SO helpful! Thanks!! Any further thoughts are still appreciated since I take a long time to make decisions like this :)

Happy quilting!

MissBarkey 07-28-2009 12:51 PM

I have both a Viking and a Babylock and I love them both. They are not the same machines that you are looking at, but I would have a hard time choosing between them. I think that aside from the price, a good rapport with the dealer is so important. Compare what they have to offer you as a customer and that may help you make up your mind.

MerryCrafty 07-28-2009 03:31 PM

Gosh, I just realized the Babylock is called DECORATOR'S CHOICE not Designer's Choice. Sorry if that was confusing.

Still haven't made the decision but I'm leaning towards the Babylock largely because the dealer is super close and offers lots of classes that would be convenient for me.....

dizzy 07-28-2009 04:28 PM

go with the one that would benafit you the most.i've gotsome brother an singers i should have looked a little longer i might not have gotten the last brother it'a a 4000 i think, i love what it doesnut i might have gotten a diffrent brand

Debra Mc 07-28-2009 07:46 PM

The one thing I like about Babylock is that you can use Brother hoops, bobbins & some of the other things on it. Brother is made by the same people that Babylock is but Babylock is made by higher standards. I can buy bobbins at Walmart for my Babylock because they sell the cheaper Brother. I do know that the new Quatro is more expensive than the Babylock Ellismo.