Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Babylock Zeal vs. Bernette 05 Academy Firsthand Reviews (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/babylock-zeal-vs-bernette-05-academy-firsthand-reviews-t320291.html)

RosieQ 03-18-2023 08:51 AM

Babylock Zeal vs. Bernette 05 Academy Firsthand Reviews

I'm looking to buy a new mechanical sewing machine that is $500 or less for quilting, alterations, and household sewing.

The Babylock Zeal and the Bernette 05 Academy look like they fits what I need and I would love to hear if any of you love them or hate them.
​​​​​​

Terry in the ADK 03-18-2023 10:36 AM

I recently took a friend to get her machine repaired at my LQS. I completely trust them especially their service people. Anyway, they told her that her old singer would be $150 just to look at it. So she asked, how much for a new one.? ( no pressure on their part) They sell both these models along with Juki’s and of course Bernini's. Her limit was also $500 although she never told them. She asked which was the better machine. Of course he said they were both good but in the end, thought the BL Zeal was a better built machine. The Bernetye used

Terry in the ADK 03-18-2023 10:39 AM

I recently took a friend to get her machine repaired at my LQS. I completely trust them especially their service people. Anyway, they told her that her old singer would be $150 just to look at it. So she asked, how much for a new one.? ( no pressure on their part) They sell both these models along with Juki’s and of course Berninas. Her limit was also $500 although she never told them. She asked which was the better machine. Of course he said they were both good but in the end, thought the BL Zeal was a better built machine. The Bernette’s use more plastic parts from what I understand. She got the Zeal for around $400 all in I think.
hope this helps.

RosieQ 03-18-2023 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK (Post 8593303)
I recently took a friend to get her machine repaired at my LQS. I completely trust them especially their service people. Anyway, they told her that her old singer would be $150 just to look at it. So she asked, how much for a new one.? ( no pressure on their part) They sell both these models along with Juki’s and of course Berninas. Her limit was also $500 although she never told them. She asked which was the better machine. Of course he said they were both good but in the end, thought the BL Zeal was a better built machine. The Bernette’s use more plastic parts from what I understand. She got the Zeal for around $400 all in I think.
hope this helps.

THANK YOU it really does.

Reader1 03-18-2023 03:20 PM

I can only respond about the Zeal. I have had mine for 3 years and love it. It is the machine I take to classes, and until my husband purchased a machine that I use for quilting & embroidery I used it at home also. I find it easy to use and very strong. I can go through thick and thin fabrics with ease. I feel like I can really count on my Zeal to work well when I am piecing.

happystitchermm 03-19-2023 03:43 AM

I have a fancier Bernette and I have problems with the auto thread cutter. I took it in to get looked at and was told if the problem bothers you, turn the auto thread cutter I won’t buy a Bernette again.

RosieQ 03-19-2023 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Reader1 (Post 8593358)
I can only respond about the Zeal. I have had mine for 3 years and love it. It is the machine I take to classes, and until my husband purchased a machine that I use for quilting & embroidery I used it at home also. I find it easy to use and very strong. I can go through thick and thin fabrics with ease. I feel like I can really count on my Zeal to work well when I am piecing.

That sounds like just the machine I'm looking for. Thank you.