Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Babyquilt Fabric Choices (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/babyquilt-fabric-choices-t322414.html)

GrHermie 02-03-2024 05:42 PM

Babyquilt Fabric Choices

Hi all. I’m struggling with choosing a soft organic cotton fabric for a Baby quilt backing. The front features mainly Embroidered blocks of Bible verse on solid navy, and grey/green Chambray. But the quilt is meant for a Baby boy and really needs some cute juvenile fun type cotton print in Navy, green, and /or Grey . Some have suggested using a poplin. Is this a soft enough fabric for babies? If not, any ideas would be so welcomed !

Peckish 02-03-2024 07:19 PM

Might look at flannel, Minkee, or double gauze. All of these are very soft.

bearisgray 02-03-2024 08:07 PM

Is a quilt to be used or looked at?

GrHermie 02-03-2024 08:54 PM

The quilt is to be Used!!! Mom will be traveling with baby to foreign lands as missionary.

WMUTeach 02-04-2024 04:07 AM

You may be over thinking your question, Once a quilt is washed it softens up significantly. Choose a back that compliments the front and pleases you. Have you considered a plaid or baby animals that will give it a juvenile flavor along with the blessings of the Bible verses.

polkweed 02-04-2024 10:15 PM

Poplin is typically used for men's dress shirts, and along with lawns is what I recommend if you want something really soft without adding a lot of weight or thickness. They're also a little cool to the touch like silk, which can be good in a warm climate. On the other side, if you want fuzzy and/or more warmth, then a soft flannel is your best choice.

Iceblossom 02-05-2024 04:53 AM

I think the real determination of this is what is available as organic cotton. Are your embroidery threads and interfacing etc. also organic??

There are (online) shops that do specialize in organic fabric. My usual go-to for online shopping is equilter, they have a number of options. Doing a quick search I found several flannels at Joann, they were even reasonably priced but a lot of them were actually not available, still there were some that would suit your request. Remember that pretty much all flannels shrink so go large on your order :)

bkay 02-05-2024 06:42 AM

I was at JoAnn's last week for baby quilt backing. I found the perfect color in flannel. However, the last time I bought flannel there, it "pilled" badly. In fact, it was "knobby" after 2 washes to shrink it. I asked about the my previous experience, and the sales person said they didn't have "no pill" flannel.

When I gave up on flannel, I found the perfect yellow on the sale rack. I believe it was a batik, but it didn't say so on the bolt. It was really soft, like lawn or batiste.

bkay

joe'smom 02-05-2024 08:49 AM

If I were looking for organic, I'd try Hawthorne Supply Co. or Etsy (putting organic cotton in the search box).

WesternWilson 02-09-2024 06:54 AM

Double gauze!