Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Back to the 1/4" seam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/back-1-4-seam-t263820.html)

ro 04-09-2015 05:56 PM

Back to the 1/4" seam

someone told me today if I put my zig zag on either 0 or 5 (she couldn't remember which) my machine, which isn't computerized, the needle will move over to where I need it for the 1/4" seam. anyone try this? and/or any idea what it would do to the machine if I kept sewing it this way. tx.

mom-6 04-09-2015 06:11 PM

I've not tried this, but at the moment I don't have a zigzag capable machine.

ragamuffin 04-09-2015 06:14 PM

Make sure you have your zigzag foot on when you try it. I don't know which machine you have. On my older machine, when I turn that knob, it will zigzag. It will move the needle though. Then measure 1/4" from the needle
over to the right till you have the right measurement you are looking for. Good luck.

Barb in Louisiana 04-09-2015 08:05 PM

I have a Singer Golden Touch & Sew, circa 1970. It doesn't have a needle move function, except with the zigzag stitch. To make it sew on the left, I put it on zigzag, with 0 as the width. It stays stitching on the left side. Does this equal 1/4 inch? I don't know. Sounds like you will have to do some testing.

Sisty88 04-10-2015 01:31 AM

I think it all depends on your machine as to exactly what number it would need to be on, as I believe mine has to be on 5.6 or around there (mine goes up to 7). It would also depend on the width of your presser I would think. Definitely worth having a play around though!

citruscountyquilter 04-10-2015 05:07 AM

I have several machines. I either have a 1/4" foot or use painter's tape and mark 1/4" and sew along that line. I like painter's tape because it is easy to see and doesn't leave any residue or harm the finish of the machine. I've also heard of using an old credit card and taping that at 1/4". I'm not sure how that would work however if your presser foot is wider than where the 1/4" mark would be.

Homespun 04-10-2015 06:26 AM

I'm thinking if you sew all the pieces with the same machine and foot, they will fit together no matter how close/far you are from 1/4". Maybe too simple...

ManiacQuilter2 04-10-2015 10:14 AM

I have a non computerized Bernina but I haven't used it in a while but I think I can position the needle. I only do it when I need a skinny 1/4" seam allowance.

brandeesmom 04-10-2015 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Homespun (Post 7160126)
I'm thinking if you sew all the pieces with the same machine and foot, they will fit together no matter how close/far you are from 1/4". Maybe too simple...

I agree with this too!

Geri B 04-10-2015 03:26 PM

I would be afraid constantly having a mechanical machine set at that odd zigzag might do some harm to the gears, or whatever makes a machine work. Why not just leave your straight stitch where it is, and mark your 1/4" mark with moleskin, painters tape, post its or whatever works best for you and if your now foot extends beyond that mark.....do your mark before the foot( closer to you)...... I have a 1/4" foot on mine, but I also have a strip of moleskin before the fabric gets to the foot.......as I feed it up to the foot......I'm sure there are tutes on how to find that 1/4"......