Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Back to basics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/back-basics-t268775.html)

annesthreads 08-14-2015 10:52 PM

Back to basics

I've been quilting for about 15 years, but recently decided to do a Craftsy class on borders, as mine didn't always work out as well as I'd like. It's been a great experience, as I've picked up some useful tips, and it's made me look again at the ways I do even basic things - eg I've learned a better way to join strips at 45 degrees, have asked myself why I don't use steam when I press and can now do all my measurements and fabric calculations for borders more accurately. I think I'm going to do some more of the basic classes - it's so easy to stick to old habits (or acquire bad new ones!) and never question why I do things a certain way.

Trapunta 08-15-2015 03:19 AM

Thanks for the advice. I think I need that class just to finish my first quilt with borders. I might as well start out by acquiring good habits!

ckcowl 08-15-2015 04:03 AM

Funny how sometimes we go along maybe taking a shortcut then come across a class, book, tutorial, something that takes us back to the basics. We realize when we step back to the basics everything falls back into place. :) I think we could all once in awhile benefit from a basics/beginner class. :) . craftsy has a great assortment. I was recently asked to teach a 12 year old to sew- wanting to give her a good foundation I pulled out books I'd not browsed in a number of years- boy, have I been cutting some corners! The basics are a great place to go when things are no longer quite right! :)

ManiacQuilter2 08-15-2015 09:08 AM

There is so much information out there on u-tube and TV shows on PBS. I saw how Patrice Lose sews off his binding at a 45 degrees before folding a corner. I tried it and it worked for me. Today, I just saw EB do it on her newest series. You get sharp folded corners.

Pagzz 08-15-2015 09:11 AM

I loved the border class on Craftsy.

quiltingbuddy 08-16-2015 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7286993)
There is so much information out there on u-tube and TV shows on PBS. I saw how Patrice Lose sews off his binding at a 45 degrees before folding a corner. I tried it and it worked for me. Today, I just saw EB do it on her newest series. You get sharp folded corners.

I agree. I love the tips Patrick Lose has for binding. Does anyone take out the little triangle inside the folded corner to reduce bulk on binding? I think that is fantastic. It's always great to learn new things. And yes getting back to basics and relearning old things can help as well!

bearisgray 08-16-2015 07:06 AM

It feels so great to learn a better way on how to do something.

When I was doing some math peer tutoring, I asked if I could sit in on the "lower" classes so I would use the same terminology that my tutees were hearing - I learned so much in those classes - either some topics were never taught way back when - or I was absent when they were taught. I felt almost guilty getting all that new for "free."

Onebyone 08-16-2015 07:36 AM

I watch Craftsy while in my sewing room. I have a broken laptop but it will open a webpage and I keep it connected to Craftsy.