Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Back of cutting mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/back-cutting-mat-t258310.html)

RugosaB 12-16-2014 07:02 AM

Back of cutting mat

The last year I've read several posts that state the user is also using the back of their cutting mat.

I have a June Taylor mat, probably 7-8 years old and have NEVER used the back.
When it was new, the side with the print (the front) was a little bit rougher in texture, while the back was shiny and smooth. It's still shiny and smooth because like I said, I nevere even considered using it.

The front shows some use, but is still usable.

So, can I use the back too? (I never use the lines printed on the front except for keeping my fabric 'straight,' I use my ruler for measuring)

sewbizgirl 12-16-2014 07:32 AM

I just flipped mine over recently. I have an OLFA mat (the green ones) and they are the same front and back, except for the printed lines. It's like having a new mat!

I have no experience with June Taylor... if the back of the mat has a shiny finish it may not work. It may be too slippery.

citruscountyquilter 12-16-2014 08:01 AM

I just flipped my Olfa mat over last month after many years using the front. It's working just fine for me and seems like the front without the lines.

slbram17 12-16-2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 7009952)
I just flipped my Olfa mat over last month after many years using the front. It's working just fine for me and seems like the front without the lines.

Sounds like it would work fine.

grammy Dwynn 12-16-2014 08:06 AM

like fabric ..... you paid for both side... LOL use both!

Onebyone 12-16-2014 08:26 AM

June Taylor mat is a hard surface mat. Olfa and Fiskars are soft self healing mats. The difference is the rotary blade rolls on top of the hard surface mat or cuts into the self healing mat.

Ariannaquilts 12-16-2014 08:31 AM

I have been using the back of my cutting mat for years, it was something that I saw on Fons and Porter many years ago they were trying to teach you not to depend on the lines of the mat but instead to use the lines of the ruler. I haven't bought a new mat in probably 10 years. That being said I do have 2.

ManiacQuilter2 12-16-2014 09:00 AM

I used both sides of my Omni mat and finally had to buy a new one a year ago. I like the mat because it is much thicker than the Olfa mat and wears much better for a longer length of time. I am not sure if you can use a slick surface for cutting. Try a small item and be careful when cutting.

Mariposa 12-16-2014 09:05 AM

I just flipped my Olfa mat a couple weeks ago. So nice!

Jan in VA 12-16-2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB (Post 7009881)
....I have a June Taylor mat, probably 7-8 years old....So, can I use the back too?

Honestly, with a 7 year old June Taylor mat, I'd toss the thing and treat myself to a new Olfa mat....and use both sides!! You'll love it!

Jan in VA