Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Back from quilters with tension issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/back-quilters-tension-issues-t87812.html)

Missi 01-05-2011 08:35 AM

Oh what do I do.

I just got four quilts back from my long armer (sp?) and the tension on them is all off. One of them is horrible and I mentioned it to her when she dropped it off and she said with variegated thread she has that problem. Even the one with solid thread has issues. She has great turn around about a month so I can't complain there.

Do I give her another chance, find someone else. I have seen other quilts she's done and they don't have issues.

The back of the one that is really bad has a plaid pattern so the poor tension issues don't scream and a non-quilter wouldn't notice it. I will try and get pics posted this week.

nativetexan 01-05-2011 08:41 AM

no, not another chance. she doesn't seem concerned. she should give you your money back since you will most likely have to have them done over again. sorry for your problems.

Candace 01-05-2011 08:44 AM

Find someone else!

Annaquilts 01-05-2011 08:47 AM

That is not acceptable. She is having problems and she is aware of it but doesn't seem to care.

KathyAire 01-05-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Missi
Oh what do I do.

I just got four quilts back from my long armer (sp?) and the tension on them is all off. One of them is horrible and I mentioned it to her when she dropped it off and she said with variegated thread she has that problem. She should have mentioned it to you, instead of you mentioning it to her. She knew it wasn't right. I do long arming, just for myself. I know when mine are not right.
Whenever I screw something up, not necessarily quilting, anything, I can't wait to fix it. I would never do anything for someone else and pass it off as okay. I guess that's one reason I don't do customer quilting.

Do I give her another chance, find someone else. I have seen other quilts she's done and they don't have issues. You gave her four chances by giving her four quilts.

The back of the one that is really bad has a plaid pattern so the poor tension issues don't scream and a non-quilter wouldn't notice it. I will try and get pics posted this week.
Do you suppose she is thinking of you as a 'non-quilter' and won't notice it? That's an insult right there.

Missi 01-05-2011 09:07 AM

She knows I am a quilter. I am giving the one away with the bad tension issues. It is a baby quilt

QuiltQtrs 01-05-2011 09:13 AM

Totally unacceptable. Find another quilter!

BellaBoo 01-05-2011 09:20 AM

To me this is just another longarmer who wants the money and thinks Oh no big deal, the stitching is just a little off, or there are only a few pleats, who cares. I would let her know you want it redone or your money back as it is not acceptable. The last longarmer I used had tension problems. So bad I had big loops on the back of the quilt. Her excuse was she changed bobbins and didn't think to check the back stitching. She never looked at the quilt after taking it off the machine. I paid a lot of money for the quilting and said I can take this quilt as it is to my guild meeting or you can redo it right. She took out every stitch and redone it because she had a pile of my guild members quilts to do and she knew all it would take was for me to take that quilt in to guild as it was and her business would be over. Don't be timid to say what you expect. People like her rely on women not to speak up and accept below par service. Their excuse is their problem not yours.

ljsunflower 01-05-2011 09:21 AM

As was stated above, she knows when the tension isn't right. I spent 3 hours picking a quilt out when we looked at the back & saw AWFUL tension!
Find someone else who actually cares what her work looks like.

Quilter7x 01-05-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
To me this is just another longarmer who wants the money and thinks Oh no big deal, the stitching is just a little off, or there are only a few pleats, who cares. I would let her know you want it redone or your money back as it is not acceptable. The last longarmer I used had tension problems. So bad I had big loops on the back of the quilt. Her excuse was she changed bobbins and didn't think to check the back stitching. She never looked at the quilt after taking it off the machine. I paid a lot of money for the quilting and said I can take this quilt as it is to my guild meeting or you can redo it right. She took out every stitch and redone it because she had a pile of my guild members quilts to do and she knew all it would take was for me to take that quilt in to guild as it was and her business would be over. Don't be timid to say what you expect. People like her rely on women not to speak up and accept below par service. Their excuse is their problem not yours.

I competely agree with you Bella. If this is her business, she won't last long at all. If I did accept them (which I wouldn't), I would be bringing them to my guild meetings also - and one of the quilt guilds I belong to has over 80 members!