Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Background choices (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/background-choices-t102005.html)

jaciqltznok 02-22-2011 07:08 AM

What is your favorite choice for background?
NOT backing, but background!

I love scrappy quilts, so I do a lot of scrappy backgrounds as well.
But when I do a "normal" quilt, I prefer things like a marble, something with a tiny bit of movement, but NO print to it!

What do you mostly use?

nycquilter 02-22-2011 07:22 AM

my all-time fav seems to be black. I love to make the colors pop! though, right now, I'm working on a Pat Campbell Jacobean that is using a white-on-white for the background.

Laurie

littlehud 02-22-2011 07:45 AM

I love black for my backgrounds.

quiltmaker 02-22-2011 10:43 AM

That's a hard question as I use background fabrics that go with the colors of my quilt obviously... so there is no particular color that comes to mind as being predominate over any other. I would choose something that would make my quilt pop and give any movement I felt necessary so the eye would have a pleasing restful place and also a wow factor.

Jan in VA 02-22-2011 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I particularly like what I call 'muckled up' backgrounds. These are faint/hardly distinguishable prints in light colors. For instance, the purple quilt below uses a pale purple print of fishes - the ugliest fabric I ever saw *before* I used it here. Now I love how it looks in the quilt!

The background fabric in the righthand quilt is one pale yellow print with different star sayings written over it. It sort of looks 'muckled up', too.

If I don't have a large, faded-looking print like this one handy, I often use fabrics in as many shades of, say, ecru as I can find....each with tone-on-tone prints/patterns.....in the quilt. If the color is in the same 'family' the same across the fabrics, the effect is quite interesting and rich overall, as you've probably found out.

Jan in VA

Note purple background in lefthand quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167668[/ATTACH]

jaciqltznok 02-22-2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I particularly like what I call 'muckled up' backgrounds. These are faint/hardly distinguishable prints in light colors. For instance, the purple quilt below uses a pale purple print of fishes - the ugliest fabric I ever saw *before* I used it here. Now I love how it looks in the quilt!

The background fabric in the righthand quilt is one pale yellow print with different star sayings written over it. It sort of looks 'muckled up', too.

If I don't have a large, faded-looking print like this one handy, I often use fabrics in as many shades of, say, ecru as I can find....each with tone-on-tone prints/patterns.....in the quilt. If the color is in the same 'family' the same across the fabrics, the effect is quite interesting and rich overall, as you've probably found out.

Jan in VA

I do love the purple quilt...really a nice background choice!

fabric_fancy 02-22-2011 11:02 AM

indigo - it goes with everything and i find it makes the other colors pop better than black or white does

GagaSmith 02-22-2011 02:40 PM

I use different colors depending on the quilt but i like a tone on tone better than a solid most of the time.

bjchad 02-22-2011 02:45 PM

I don't normally think of any particular color as the background. So I guess I don't have a favorite. However I really like certain combinations and tend to use them often such as fall colors or teal and purple or purple and green.

jljack 02-22-2011 03:18 PM

I usually use a tone on tone in a color that goes with the rest of the quilt pallette (spelling?? Hahaha).