Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Background fabric ideas for Aunt Gracie prints. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/background-fabric-ideas-aunt-gracie-prints-t282333.html)

chickadeee55 09-20-2016 08:11 AM

Background fabric ideas for Aunt Gracie prints.

I have a pattern that I would like to make using Aunt Gracie prints for the main blocks but I need a background fabric (5 1/4 yds) for it. I know everyone usually uses plain muslin, white or off white but I would really like to use a color with or without a slight pattern in it (non directional).

Any ideas, and good sources, it would of course have to go with the 1030's theme.

Thank you

Krisb 09-20-2016 12:34 PM

Yellow or mint green.

Tartan 09-20-2016 12:42 PM

​I saw a applique quilt made with a background fabric that had very pale pink, yellow, blue, lavender mix. It almost looked like a very light sunset. I have no idea who made it but it was lovely with all the different colored applique flowers.

indycat32 09-20-2016 02:07 PM

pale yellow is my go-to background fabric

joyce blint 09-20-2016 05:09 PM

This may sound strange , but I've sashed 30's print blocks with a black that has a very tiny rosebud print. Another 30's one, I used a black with teeny tiny multi colored dots. It seemed to work fine and really set off the paler 30's prints. I'd post pics if I knew how.

Jan in VA 09-20-2016 05:49 PM

One also sees 30s quilts with Nile green, a peachy orange, or bubble gum pink.

sewbizgirl 09-20-2016 05:55 PM

Not sure what shade of green "nile" is, but a lot of the old 30's quilts have that minty green color. Maybe we are talking about the same thing. I bought Dream Cotton in that color, for use with my 30's prints.

Bree123 09-20-2016 06:57 PM

I don't know what fabric you are using from that line. I have found that some of the Moda Bella solids are good matches.

If you type "1930's" plus the color you want & either Kona or Moda, you will find a bunch of choices. The other option is to work with a LQS that specializes in repro fabrics, like Pieceful Gathering in Fox River Grove, IL (yes, they will provide help over the phone & ship throughout the US).

Green is always the most traditional option for the 30's, but there are many beautiful choices. I had a blue that I used as well in my 30's quilt that was kind of this periwinkle color. I'm trying to look up exactly what the color name/number was for it. I bought all of them through Pieceful Gathering. They were not my background color -- I did a scrappy Irish Chain & left the background Kona Snow because I wanted the colors to stand out, but doing a background in something other than green or cream sounds really intriguing! I can't wait to see pictures of it!!!

pennycandy 09-20-2016 07:08 PM

Fabric with tiny dots or gingham might be an option. Try a search with the term ditsy print.

luvstoquilt 09-21-2016 04:39 AM

Kona has great colors to use with 30's fabric. I find best deals at Hobby Lobby with the 40 percent off coupons. Great greens, bubblegum pink, pale yellows, etc. I always keep a bolt I'd Kona Snow, too.