Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   backing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-fabric-t256035.html)

feline fanatic 10-29-2014 08:28 AM

I do both as well. And many times I will do a completely pieced back (basically a double sided quilt) with leftovers from the front, supplemented by stash. However, given a choice, I really like the convenience of wide backing. And it really is not more expensive. Most the time I can find it on sale for around $10 Per yard. When I go to Mennonite shops I have picked up wide muslin for $6. But even at full price it is usually more cost effective to buy the wide back.

For example, A Queen size quilt measuring 90 x 100 would require a minimum purchase of 6.75 yards of 44" wide fabric at $7 per yard. This is assuming 3 seams and also assuming the WOF is really 44". I am seeing more and more fabric measuring at 42" or less in width once you cut selvage off. At $7 per yard it will run you $47 (rounding to nearest whole dollar). We are not taking into account your time and effort to cut it down as needed and sew it back together. You will need even more if you are sending to a LAQ who needs extra backing to attach to leaders.

However, you would only have to buy 2.75 yards of wide back at $15 per yard so the cost is $41.25 and you will have enough left over to make binding and add to stash and the added bonus of not having to cut it or seam it. AND the extra length is already there for a LAQ but you might need to buy more for the width to adjust side clamps so even if you upped to 3 yards it still comes to a tiny bit less ($45) than the standard width stuff.

quiltingcandy 10-29-2014 08:50 AM

Usually when I make a quilt I buy flannel to match the front and I don't buy it until the quilt is finished. I have bought the extra wide fabric and it is a lot more difficult to iron, even with my wide ironing board.

ManiacQuilter2 10-29-2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 6948414)
I have done both, it just depends upon the quilt, it's purpose, where it is going and my budget.

I agree with Jeanne. If the quilt has a lot of seams like in a bargello, I prefer a backing that doesn't have any piecing. But on charity quilts, I try to use up what I have left over from the donated fabric.

maminstl 10-29-2014 10:04 AM

I love to come up with a design for the back myself, so mostly will use leftover fabric from the top. If there is something that has a nice big print, will often use that for the back if I don't have a good idea, or no leftovers. I've never bought backing fabric.

Boston1954 10-29-2014 12:56 PM

If I had loads of money, I would go for the 108" wide fabric. I love the look of a back that is one big piece, whether it matches the front or not, I just think it's pretty.

Jan in VA 10-29-2014 02:22 PM

As I rarely make quilts as large as the backing fabrics cover, I usually piece my backings from my stash.
When I *do* buy backing fabrics, there is much left over that can be used for piecing blocks or other even other backs. That just adds again to the stash!

Jan in VA

Susan7639 10-29-2014 02:38 PM

I am currently stalling on finishing a great quilt because I am balking at paying more for backing :)

soccertxi 10-29-2014 02:42 PM

Both here as well If I have leftover fabric that matches and the top is not too seam intensive, I might get the bug and piece the backing. If on the other hand, its a Bonnie Hunter mystery such as Celtic Solstice- all bets are off and off I go to find a nice wide back that matches! Gets me to quilting faster!

Doggramma 10-29-2014 02:51 PM

I really like the wide backings, but I'm also trying to use up the "unloved" gaudy fabrics I've purchased over the years from the sale bolts. I usually don't care if the back coordinates with the front.

quiltsRfun 10-29-2014 03:35 PM

I find a pieced backing is a good way to use leftovers from the front. Also, it's a good way to get rid of those "What was I thinking?" fabrics. Somehow they seem to be OK as the backing.