Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backing Question - Caution: Math Involved! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-question-caution-math-involved-t297396.html)

ILoveToQuilt 06-04-2018 05:16 PM

Backing Question - Caution: Math Involved!

My quilt top measures 54" x 72" (6 inch blocks set 9 rows by 12 rows). No borders.

According to the fabric calculator I have, it says I need 4 1/4 yards of fabric for the backing. (They use a standard 40" for wof). For the life of me, I can't "see" how to layout the backing. How do I cut or piece it?

I also found a fabric that is 108" wide that I would like to use, but can't figure out how much to buy and how to lay it out. Whatever I do, it seems I am "wasting" a lot of fabric.

TIA

Kassaundra 06-04-2018 05:36 PM

If you use the 40 inch fabric you will have to piece. If you use the 108 inch fabric and do not want to piece the backing you will need 54 inches or 1.5 yards, but you will need to add a few inches to that for the extra overhang that traditional quilting (not qayg) needs so 1 3/4 or 1 2/3 minimum.

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 8070684)
My quilt top measures 54" x 72" (6 inch blocks set 9 rows by 12 rows). No borders.

According to the fabric calculator I have, it says I need 4 1/4 yards of fabric for the backing. (They use a standard 40" for wof). For the life of me, I can't "see" how to layout the backing. How do I cut or piece it?

I also found a fabric that is 108" wide that I would like to use, but can't figure out how much to buy and how to lay it out. Whatever I do, it seems I am "wasting" a lot of fabric.

TIA

dunster 06-04-2018 08:31 PM

You can buy 3 1/2 yards, cut it in half, cut off the selvages, sew the two pieces together, and you will have a back that is 63"x (about)80".

Sailorwoman 06-05-2018 04:57 AM

Also be aware that the 108' often shrinks by about 7%.

Macybaby 06-05-2018 07:21 AM

I save my cut off sides of the extra wide fabric (trim off after it comes off the LA) and sew them together until I have enough to use for another back. It does mean that I rotate them so the seams go across and not down when mounted on the frame, but that has not caused me any problems.

Jingle 06-05-2018 02:38 PM

Any extra fabric could also be used in another quilt. I do this all the time. I seldom waste any fabrics over 1" or squares over 2". Making string quilts is a good way to not waste.

Rhonda K 06-05-2018 02:47 PM

You will need a fabric that isn't directional if you use the 3 1/2 yards as as Dunster mentions above.

The seam will run horizontal (side-to-side) instead of vertical. This works fine on small prints. It can be harder to match designs on larger prints so that's a consideration.

Be sure the selvages on each piece are oriented in the same direction. I use a sticky note to label the pieces. This keeps the gains running in the same direction.

If you choose to use 4 1/4 yard, add a piece to one side of the yardage. You will have ONE full piece of fabric 76.5 inches long.

The second piece of fabric is also 76.5 inches long.

Cut the SECOND piece down the length by whatever extra width you need. Then sew together using a 1/2 inch seam allowance down the length. You will have a seam going vertical (top to bottom).

BEFORE CUTTING Backing: Check with longarmer for how much extra fabric they require for quilting.

Hope that helps!

ILoveToQuilt 06-05-2018 05:29 PM

Thanks for the answers. I actually bought 5 yards of Kona (on sale)- yes, I will have extra, but I will definitely use it in another project. I am planning on quilting this myself. Thanks again!

Irishrose2 06-05-2018 07:42 PM

I have a quilt exactly the same size and I have 2 1/8 yards of backing. Solution - a 15" wide ladder of scraps leftovers from the front to make it wide enough. I rarely have a back of all one fabric.

lindaschipper 06-06-2018 04:17 AM

I use "MY WEB QUILTER" ...it allows me to input my size dimensions and then it does the figuring for me. Even tell me how to piece my backing. Hasn't failed me yet!