Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backing quilt with fleece (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-quilt-fleece-t200058.html)

Tashana 09-09-2012 07:34 PM

Backing quilt with fleece

A friend mentioned that she woul like me to back a quilt I am making for her mom with fleece. I have never done that. Should I use batting? Can I quilt it on the machine? Help, please!

quiltingweb 09-09-2012 07:45 PM

I've made one quilt this way and did not use batting. I quilted it, leaving room around the edges of the top so I could just turn it under and stitch it, leaving a bit of the fleece for fringes around the edges. I have some cuddle fleece that I bought for backing of a baby quilt. I can't wait to try it, but I don't think they recommend leaving raw edges for the cuddle fleece like you can for the polar fleece.

Lori S 09-09-2012 07:47 PM

You could use a batting... but I would not.. depending on the fleece it could be quite thick . I would take the fleece and roll it up as if you were to roll for quilting and see if you can handle the over all volume that will have to fit into your machine.
The fleece will be quite warm so the batting really is not required.
Consider tying or machine tacking as an alternative to quilting if you find the quilt roll will be more than you want to handle.

kristakz 09-09-2012 08:03 PM

I made one in which I used fleece for backing and included batting. I found it very heavy/stiff in the end, even with light quilting. Since then, if I'm using fleece I don't use batting. Fleece is so warm, I don't think it is necessary anyway.

thimblebug6000 09-09-2012 08:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have made quite a few quilts with fleece backing & warm & natural batting. I have posted the pictures before but will include again, they are nice & cuddly! [ATTACH=CONFIG]361646[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]361647[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361648[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]361649[/ATTACH]

jacqueck 09-10-2012 02:25 AM

I have made over 100 quilts for the Children's Hospital and always use fleece. I don't use batting to keep them soft and not too heavy. They wash very well and really hold up to wear and tear. I sandwich the two layers using basting spray and then quilt. Don't have to quilt too closely (a real plus) and I bind them. Have fun.

Daylesewblessed 09-10-2012 03:47 AM

I have used fleece as a backing in several quilts and don't use batting with it. It works fine and is especially nice for making soft, cozy kids quilts, as well as lap robes for the elderly (they don't slide off so easily).

Dayle

Pieces2 09-10-2012 04:30 AM

I would not use fleece. It is a polyester blend fabric and will shrink differently than your cotton quilt top.

quiltingweb 09-10-2012 08:22 AM

Pretty quilts Thimblebug!

GrannieAnnie 09-10-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5503335)
A friend mentioned that she woul like me to back a quilt I am making for her mom with fleece. I have never done that. Should I use batting? Can I quilt it on the machine? Help, please!

How heavy/warm do you want the quilt? It will be fine with just the fleece. But batting will make it even loftier and warmer.