Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-t74972.html)

QuiltingMia 11-07-2010 05:52 PM

I have put together a small quilt and ready for the backing. BUT when the backing was cut at the store, I only have 4 1/2 inches extra. This would mean that I have 2 1/4 for 2 sides. Can the backing be pieced? My quilt top measures 22 3/4 x 27 3/4. Or can I just hope for the best and go for it???? This is my second quilt but the first was done 1987.

klgreene 11-07-2010 06:30 PM

Absoluely. I do many quilts, all sizes, that I piece together. You can use left over fabric and make a pattern, or just strips of material. If you hand quilt, the more seams you have it might be a little more difficult. If you machine quilt or send it out, that's not a problem. I did a quilt for 2 granddaughters, and the quilt was actually reversible. And of course the girls liked the back side best.

donnajean 11-07-2010 06:30 PM

For a quilt this size & if you are doing the quilting yourself I think you will be fine. I don't think you will have to piece the backing.

Vanuatu Jill 11-07-2010 07:49 PM

I think 2 1/4 inches will be fine on a smaller quilt. I have done that many times and had no problem-I hand quilt, but assume it won't make much difference machine quilting. Just be careful when you baste your sandwich that you have it centered with your batting and quilt top, or you might end up with more on one side and less on the other.

Cyn 11-07-2010 08:01 PM

I quilted a bedsize quilt once and somehow got too close to the end of the backing for my comfort so I stopped and put a border on the back smack dab in the middle of quilting. It wasn't the best way to work but the end results were just fine.

littlehud 11-07-2010 08:04 PM

I think you have enough fabric without piecing. I would go for it.

psquared52 11-07-2010 09:13 PM

I also think you have enough backing, with 2 /4" on each side. I personally think backs tend to be very BORING and often piece them, using fabrics from the quilt top. I think it makes them visually more interesting and allows me to use leftover fabrics. The side benefit is that I don't have to use another full length of backing material, if I need the extra width.

paloma 11-08-2010 04:13 AM

i just made a baby quilt for my dd that she wanted for a freind front was a penny quilt the back was peiced in the middle both ways in center every body liked the back

QuiltingMia 11-08-2010 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by MiaMia
I have put together a small quilt and ready for the backing. BUT when the backing was cut at the store, I only have 4 1/2 inches extra. This would mean that I have 2 1/4 for 2 sides. Can the backing be pieced? My quilt top measures 22 3/4 x 27 3/4. Or can I just hope for the best and go for it???? This is my second quilt but the first was done 1987.

Thanks everyone. I was going out today to buy another backing but now I have decided to give it a try.