Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   backing too short!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-too-short-t271819.html)

minibarn 11-03-2015 06:21 AM

backing too short!!!

I am hand quilting a quilt that is approx 70 x 84. I am using a Grace EZ3 frame. I have now arrived at the end of the quilt and my backing is about 1/4" too short! I am not sure what happened, as I was sure I made my backing w/ extra room for shrinkage, but I have had many problems along the way w/this quilt and this frame, not happy w/the frame at all. But any way, what do I do about my shortage? Should I just trim the top when I take it out of the frame and not worry about it, or should I just make my binding a bit wider and cover the back w/that? If that makes sense.

BTW, I am so painfully slow at quilting that it has taken me 2 years to reach this point :shock:!!! But I am thrilled to pieces that I have made it to the end!!!

Thanks!

Sandra-P 11-03-2015 06:28 AM

Yikes! I don't know the answer, just wanted to tell you I can sympathize with you. There are so many smart quilters on the board, I know one of them will have a solution.

Homespun 11-03-2015 06:28 AM

You can make wider binding or sew on a small piece to extend the backing. I have had that happen to me. Next time be sure your backing is at least 4 inches bigger. Also you could put on a flange binding...think that is what it is called. I have not done it. Best wishes.

Tartan 11-03-2015 06:31 AM

Just do any extra wide binding.

bearisgray 11-03-2015 06:38 AM

I am sorry that you are having a problem. Very frustrating.

You could do any of the things you suggested.

If the complete width of the border is not critical to the design of your quilt, I would probably just cut off 1/4 inch all the way around and not worry about it.

If the complete width of the border of the design is critical to the design, I would just put on a wider than average binding. My "normal" binding is almost 1/2 inch and looks quite respectable. (Start with a 3 inch wide binding and do some testing/practicing on similar sandwiches to get it a "perfect" width for your set up.)

Or you could trim 1/8 inch all the way around the quilt sandwich and make the border a teeny bit wider than usual.

ManiacQuilter2 11-03-2015 06:38 AM

I agree. For being only 1/4" just cut your binding that much wider. Great that you are getting near the end. When I machine quilt, I normally make sure I have an extra 2" on each side of the quilt backing.

mic-pa 11-03-2015 06:48 AM

I had that happen to me and I just added an extra inch or two the then finished with the binding Not a problem and no one will notice

thimblebug6000 11-03-2015 07:54 AM

I would prefer to stitch an extra few inches of fabric onto your backing and then finish quilting and use your regular binding.

tessagin 11-03-2015 08:02 AM

I agree with the binding comments.

minibarn 11-03-2015 09:39 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies. The borders are not at all critical tot eh over all design of the quilt so not a problem either way I go. I am sure I had at least 2 extra inches of backing, but things started going wrong when I got about mid way through the quilt and I guess that took up the extra.

I guess when I get it out of the frame and see exactly how much difference there is I can decide the best way to proceed.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!